• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my Pentium e2160 too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theaznboywunder

Registered
Hey Guys! This is my first post here at OC, and I'm looking for some help. I'm currently working on overclocking my new Pentium e2160 CPU. Right now it's clocked at 2.4ghz with stock cooling. Anyway, here's my problem. I'm aware that the e2160 can reach a maximum temp of 73 degrees celcius, but I'm curious of my own CPU's operating temp.

Right now, it's in the C0 state (don't know what that is, can someone chime in). Both cores, according to Core Temp, are at 46-degrees celcius. This is in a computer room with the heat set up to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. If it helps to describe, my computer room is the second hottest room in the house, as it is directly above the boiler room. It's a pretty small room with two computers running in it.

Anyway, is 46 degrees ok? My computer froze not too long after I OC'ed it (surprisingly), and I thought it might have been the operating temp, so I opened the window and turned on a desk fan and let the 16-degree frigid air come into the room. My e2160 dropped to 42-degrees Celsius at that point.

So, is 46 celcius alright in a warm room, for a processor on stock cooling inside a case with three other fans? Also, what is a optimal temperature range that I should always be in for the health of my e2160? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Your temps are fine... great for stock cooling...

If you are wondering as long as you keep it below 60*C you will not have a problem...

for your crashing check for stability and check memory for errors

:welcome: Welcome to the forums!

46 C is fine if you are loading both cores... as for CO state, not sure what that is either. By loading, I mean running a stress test like prime95 or Orthos.

If that is the temperature at idle it is pretty high and you might want to reseat that heatsink before doing anything more. Typically recommended idle temps are below 50C.

Last edited:
Hey guys. My computer froze a second time while I was merely using the internet. I opened the window once again and let the air come in, this time I placed the fan on the window sill to move the chilly air into the room and I aimed it directly at the computer. Now both cores are at 35. The computer froze when the CPU hit 48.

I am testing with Prime95 right now, both with the window open and the window closed. Also, does anyone know how I can check the memory for errors? Thanks again in advance!

The temps may be rising so fast that it didn't show a higher value.

Also, I heard that the more you OC, the lower the processor temp tolerances are!

Running large ffts in prime95 should test both pretty well and monitor core temperatures. Run Memtest (google it and/or search around here) from the bios to test the memory independently.

Edit: You might want to lower the OC to stock to test for stability first if you want to check the memory with prime95, to eliminate cpu worries (this will also show if the heatsink is seated properly).

I crashed a third time, while I was running Prime 95 (one window was set to low, the other to high). Core Temp said I hit 58 degrees celsius before I crashed.

I remember having a bit of a problem getting the fan to lock onto the motherboard. Perhaps I need to reseat the fan and apply AS5?

Don't know. Task manager says I'm only using 7% of the CPU and I'm running 43C. Good or no good? I'll try Prime95 again, this time with the heat down and the computer room door open, window closed, and see what will happen. Again, thanks for the info guys!

same thing happened again. I hit 58C while using Prime95. Task manager said I was using 61% of the CPU and then I froze a third time. Hmm....

maybe give the cpu some more voltage...should make it more stable.

Definitely try reseating that heatsink. Remove it from the board, clean up both the heatsink and CPU with some high % alcohol, let both dry, reapply thermal paste then reseat the sink. Should give you better temps if done correctly.

I guess I have to run memcheck86 and figure the temps out more tomorrow. As for voltage, I have it set it 1.35v.

Right now, with just firefox open and running, both cores are at 42C. I should be perfectly fine with this right? Thanks again guys! I will update my status tomorrow when I get a chance to do more work on the computer.

your heatsink is definately off now that i think about it

use the glass and ketchup test if you can on both the cpu and heatsink to make sure both are flat

is there any way to reseat the fan without going out to buy Arctic Silver? Micro Center is a bit far from me, and I can't make it there till Saturday. Should I wait or try to reseat without the compound?

Well whenever I had mine with stock cooling it didn't exceed 32c idle @ 3.0ghz according to coretemp. So I would look into reseating if I were you. But now with my TRUE120 it doesn't get over 28c idle.

Got Arctic Silver 5 from Radio Shack today, hard to believe they had some. Anyway, I just did a reseat. Once again, while doing prime95 testing, the cores hit 58C and then I froze. I've once again reverted to opening the window, placing the fan on the windowsill to blow air IN, and opening the side of my Centurion 5 case to cool the CPU. I'm at 35 idle right now, and the air is making my hands cold.

I know I reseated properly, I heard the pins click and everything. Followed all the Arctic Silver Directions and all. Can anyone chime in? I know if I keep letting my computer crash I won't be using this CPU for long.

well, no luck with temps at my overclock at 2.4ghz. Here are some temp results with my Prime95 SmallFFT testing.

At Stock Voltage and Speed
Cover On-58C
Cover Off/Window Open & Fan Running- 43C

So, back to the original question, am I OK if my CPU remains at 58C all the time? Or should I try once again to Reseat with AS5? Let me know. Thanks again everyone!

Hazaro, I see you have the same C5 case. Anyway, the more I think of it, I think it does need more airflow. I've got a Cooler Master 80mm led fan up front that replaced the stock one that was mounted there. I took the original one and mounted it to the shroud on the side panel, which takes air in and pushes it onto the stock intel cooler. Then I've got the stock 120mm Cooler Master fan out back.

Back