• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EEK! help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ohgr

Registered
I'm building a new pc setup > Asus A7A266
1.2Gig 200FBS Athlon
320 megs ram
GeForce 2mx DDR
1x 6.5 Gig HD Primary
1x 8 Gig HD Secondary

Everything was fine on first setup and install of Win2Kpro, but after a few tests I realised the MB was not using the AGP card efficiantly and as I'll be using the system for digital art and games I decided to try and fix this problem. After searching the net for help I was advised to download the latest bios update, but I accidently downloaded and installed an update for the ALi chipset instead of the VIA chipset drivers for my Motherboard. After realising this I attempted to uninstall whatever I could then downloaded and installed the latest VIA chipset drivers.
After updating the bios ( performed in Win2k ) I soon realised I couldn't run any 3D applications, such as 3Dmark 2001 or Quake 3. Then I realised windows was randomly restarting the computer without any obvious reason. After failing to fix this problem or find out what was causing it I decided to re-format and re-installing Win2Kpro. However from this point on I am unable to install either Win2K or Win98 as the computer crashes every time it gets midway through the installation of the windows files. Reasons for crashing are differant every time ( sometimes due to memory problems, IRQ problems, IDE drive problems etc...). I've tried unpluging the second HDD incase it was using to much power from the other devices, but this has not helped and I'm still having problems.
This is the point I'm stuck at. I'm unable to install any operating systems due to instability and crashing with random errors/reasons and I have enothing on the HDD. I don't have a clue how to fix this, although my best bet is its something to do with my mistakes with the updated bios.

Did you make a backup of the original BIOS before trying to update it? If you did just reinstall the original BIOS. If you didn't try going to the ASUS website and see if you can download an earlier version of the BIOS.

aaaaaaaaaaaaagh my MB is Ali NOT VIA !!! so I tried fixing it with the wrong drivers...damn damn damn now I have to update it again without an o/s !!!

yeah I got confused, I've been trying to fix my dead system for 14 hours solid and I've just fixed it all :p :D :cool: with the help of the guys at www.amdforums.com

thanks to all here also who may have helped at somepont.

Back