• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time Warner Turbo...is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nasvemos671

I ran this test today,
218584704.png
and I went and actually looked an upgrade option for my internet. I already pay 170 a month for cable, internet and phone. Its an extra 10 bucks to get the upgrade option. My question is; is there anyone out there that uses this or HAS used it and is it worth it?

What do you use the internet for? Could you use the extra bandwidth? That's all it is, extra bandwidth. Do you: download a lot and need it fast? support a lot of computers/users, online games a lot? run a game/file/ftp/etc server?

In a related note they recently bumped our local TW Turbo service to 15mb down and 1mb up. WOOT! :bday:

what does turbo do for you... cus theres road runner turbo, and road runner extreme...

mk looks like it its

Xtreme 10mbit down / 1mbit or 768kbit up
Turbo 8mbit down / 512kbit up
Regular 5mbit / 348kbit

To be honest the whole service isnt worth it... i had adelphia cable net (timewarner bought them out) and it was alright @ 5/348 then when timewarner bought adelphia the whole service turned to ****, constantly dropping connection and what not... we were like you paying ~ 40bucks a month for 5 / 348... then verizon put fiber optic cable on our street... for the SAME price we now have a 15mbit and 2mbit connection.... that NEVER goes out... hell i was on the internet WHEN THE POWER was out on my laptop.

But i do realize that not all people have acces to verizon FIOS, so i will say this... please dont give timewarner any extra money, honestly 3mbit more down isnt worth the 10 bucks espically when your upload speed isnt even boosted really at all from its currently measily 348kbit. save the money and put it to better use.

I mean this is my connection right now while browsing the net on my main machine, mom and dad are on the net, and i got a CS 1.6 server with 16ppl in it using ~ 300kbit up and download
218955562.png

Last edited:
218970790.png

On good night I can get 7-8mb down. I <3 earthlink. (I only have a 5mb down, 348kb up connection)

(I know Earthlink only rents out servers from Bright House/Time Warner), but I'll say I've never had an issue, and some of my neighbors with standard Bright House have had outages, while I surf away.

nd4,
look how close you are to the server you tested on, compared to where I am at. That is insane. I dont think Eastern Carolina is gonna be getting Fiber Optic anytime soon. Thanks alot though. input was valuable.

nd4,
look how close you are to the server you tested on, compared to where I am at. That is insane. I dont think Eastern Carolina is gonna be getting Fiber Optic anytime soon. Thanks alot though. input was valuable.

that sucks to hear u wont be gettin true fiber (like verizons) compared to adelphias fiber to the node... which everyone has been doing since the dawn of time :beer:

just for ****s and giggles.

219005174.png

219005777.png

219005964.png

219006173.png

Last edited:
I have turbo, it is supposed to be 15Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up. The best I have seen on any speed test was 13Mb/s down. I did notice a difference moving to turbo from the basic service but I do a ton of downloading and what not. I don't really play any online games so I have nothing to input on that front. I can say I am satisfied with the upgrade and find it worth the $10/month. Here is a speed test I just did(TO NY,NY im located in Central NY):
548574717.png

Turbo Totally Worthless

Prior to "upgrading" to Time Warner Turbo I ran speedtest.net at 8am and 4:30pm to three different sites (Rochester NY, Iowa, and CA) - I'm in Ithaca NY - and I ran the test 10 times for each site (thus a total of 60 test in all). After getting Turbo I ran the same 60 tests again. I calculated mean and standard deviation -- the difference: plus or minus 5%

Prior to "upgrading" to Time Warner Turbo I ran speedtest.net at 8am and 4:30pm to three different sites (Rochester NY, Iowa, and CA) - I'm in Ithaca NY - and I ran the test 10 times for each site (thus a total of 60 test in all). After getting Turbo I ran the same 60 tests again. I calculated mean and standard deviation -- the difference: plus or minus 5%

1000x500px-LL-9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Interesting analysis. Do you have your data? Also when was this test done/what speeds are you rated for with and without turbo? Just a curious mind here :).

Std vs Turbo Data

View attachment 109716

Interesting analysis. Do you have your data? Also when was this test done/what speeds are you rated for with and without turbo? Just a curious mind here :).

Here's a sample of my data.
Prior to Turbo (i.e., while on Std with a claimed download rate of 10 Mbps) ten tests were run for each location at approx 4:30pm on 4/29/12 and with Turbo (claimed rate of 15 Mbps) another 10 tests also approx 4:30pm but on 4/30/12 (I'm in Ithaca, NY).

To Rochester NY:
Std: Avg=11.59, Mean=13.00, Std Dev=3.07, Range=5.33 to 15.53
Trb: Avg=10.90, Mean=11.65, Std Dev=2.22, Range=6.63 to 14.46

To Cedar Falls Iowa:
Std: Avg=8.46, Mean=8.14, Std Dev=1.76, Range=7.22 to 11.83
Trb: Avg=8.20, Mean=8.81, Std Dev=1.39, Range=6.42 to 11.01

To Auburn California:
Std: Avg=5.15, Mean=5.43, Std Dev=1.08, Range=3.30 to 6.82
Trb: Avg=5.04, Mean=5.39, Std Dev=0.81, Range=4.32 to 6.78

Last edited:
I know it's a scam just based upon the fact that you can get service for approx twice what it costs for the 'turbo' which also tells me they throttle everyone. Unless of course you put out more than the average guy or gal in monthly dollars. The cable companies scheme is to try and have evry single residence a separate monthly bill for both internet and tv when in fact if they did not throttle it to begin with you could easily share both with the neighbors and pay half or even less. A std tv cable line can have as many as 5 tv's and many people have but one or two to begin with. If my neighbors weren't so computer bassackwards I would be doing just that and splitting the cost for a high speed/extreme connect. Though I still refuse to use a cable box ever. Btw this would not be stealing it's called sharing intelligently, something the cable companies don't want you to do but which would be perfectly legal and wise to boot. Personally, I will never pay for cable tv ever again. The internet and it's many resources is another story.
Fios is much better but verizon wants a credit background check and if it's not spiffy they demand a huge upfront fee. TW doesn't do this which is their ONLY saving grace imo. Tw would probably try to lock you into a contract , which they don't, because they know how hard it is to enforce.

Last edited:
Back