• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broadband + wireless help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winterone

Registered
Forgive me I'm a little new to the wireless. I want my comcast connection to be wireless.(currently connected directly to my laptop ) I have a d-link wireless broadband router. Can I just hook this up to my current router to go wireless.

Ya it should work fine (I would reset router to factory defaults if you don't know what you're doing, they usually work right out of the box).

"I have a d-link wireless broadband router. Can I just hook this up to my current router to go wireless."

While this is possible, I would forgo the router to router connection and just replace your existing router with the wireless one. May save you some steps.

Forgive me I'm a little new to the wireless. I want my comcast connection to be wireless.(currently connected directly to my laptop ) I have a d-link wireless broadband router. Can I just hook this up to my current router to go wireless.

Confusing question -- it sounds like you have two routers. If you have two routers, then you need to be careful about the setup, and either replace one or configure the second one as just an access point, not a router.

If you have just one router, then yes, it's generally a good idea to go through the router instead of directly to the Internet, as it provides you with an external firewall.

Be careful with wireless though, and do not use the default settings. This is generally designed to be fully open and easily accessible. This means that any neighbors can also get into your network easily. Take a bit of time, read the manual, and set up your router and clients with WPA encryption at minimum, using a long randomized key.

Back