• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about an intel build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Precision

3Dmark Team Member
Ok I try to keep up with this stuff but it's almost impossible to do. So here is what I'm looking to do. I run AMD now. I was thinking of switching to Intel since AMD is lacking hard the past while back.

I use my computer mostly for gaming and everyday things that just about anyone could do on a half decent computer (MS office stuff, some CS3, and things like that)

Here are my questions. I am pretty much stuck on an ASUS board, but which one I have no clue for Intel. Also i see that there is the debate about the E6850 or Q6600. Which would be better for games?

To sum it up I'd like to see what ASUS board and which of those two processors would be best for what I do.

Thanks in advance :)

Well as not many games take advantage of quad cores yet, its better to get a duo and overclocker up. I would suggest to wait a few weeks for the new 45nm chip to come out and pick up ethier a e8400 or e8500. They are gonna run cooler and overclock like champs :)

As for the Asus board I have no experience with em, but the p5k boards are popular, but I would recommend the Abit ip35-pro to ya, its a great board.

Well as not many games take advantage of quad cores yet, its better to get a duo and overclocker up. I would suggest to wait a few weeks for the new 45nm chip to come out and pick up ethier a e8400 or e8500. They are gonna run cooler and overclock like champs :)

As for the Asus board I have no experience with em, but the p5k boards are popular, but I would recommend the Abit ip35-pro to ya, its a great board.

yeah, I don't plan on ordering this tomorrow or anything. What are these 8400 and 8500's? And what is the newest/best chipset now? I have been out of the loop for the past 6+ months

well are u gonna sli or no...

and for games most people rite now are gonna tell u dual 2 core...

but i went with teh q6600 because i plan on keeping the computer for a while and games in the future will use it.. crysus already does...

as for wich mobo...

im grabbing a p5k premium... (same thing as the deluxe just a bit better) they just realeased a new version of it,,, the black pearl eddition or some... its about 200 cad..

it has the old p35 chipest...but i prefer the old one since they have updated bios.. more people can help u oc.. and for the new chipest (speaking none sli) u could get the maximus formlua but apperently its known to run hot...i am going with the p35 chipest cause it ocs way better then sli mobos..

and i am no expert or computer genius (well exept when it comes to friends and familly) but for a guy on thease forums i am not a smart nerd:( but i have been reasershing alot latly and its not **** im pulling out of my ***,its **** thats coming out of smarter peoples with more experience ***.(sorry had to try and be funny)

but ya.... my opinion..

yeah, I don't plan on ordering this tomorrow or anything. What are these 8400 and 8500's?

its new smaller core 2 duals , that are really fast.. what ever u do dont grab the 8500.. its a rip off.. its like 80 bucks more for .5 more multiplyer, and only.16 ghz faster..

if ur gonna go with the new core 2 duals go with the 8400..

and as i said in my post befor the p5k premium is a great board.... read the post above for more info

I like the p35 chipset also, great overclocker

as for the chip heres a like to a pre-order place, it has some specs there. but on air the e8500 you could expect 4.2-4.4ghz :)

quick edit: for SLI you'll need the nividia chipset, the 680i doesnt overclock as well or the 780i, just came out, never used it, dunno about it.
but my opinion on SLI is it isnt needed unless your gonna run a really high resolution, plus 5-6 months after you setup your SLI a single card will come out and beat it.

I like the p35 chipset also, great overclocker

as for the chip heres a like to a pre-order place, it has some specs there. but on air the e8500 you could expect 4.2-4.4ghz :)

WOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! 4.2-4.4......... BrB cleaning pants... K yeah that sounds well... WOW. Yeah I want one O_O. When do these things release?

Abit IP35-Pro,Gigabyte P35-S3/P35-S3L/P35-DS3/P35-DS3L/P35-DS3R all great boards.

I think the P5K Premium (what I have), and the Abit IP35-Pro are pretty much the best boards out now. They both have small flaws, but you can work around them. You definitely want a P35, though.

IP35-Pro is $150 AR on newegg right now. Pretty good deal.

SLI is a now or never choice. If you plan on doing it later then a better single card will be out by the time you're ready to do it, and it would be a better investment to just sell current, and buy the new card as opposed to getting a 2nd identical older card.

e8400...have fun!

Edit: The P35 Foxconn MARS is a board to look into as well.

Last edited:
Ok so I decided I am not going to worry about SLI. I'd like to know you all think the best board will be for me to match up with the e8500 and
This ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145589

(unless someone has a suggestion for more overclockable ram for the same price)

I want to get a board that I can clock this thing up there pretty good on.
Thanks

EDIT: I would also like to get a stand alone liquid cooler for this that isn't going to SMASH my wallet. Something similar to this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103029

Also where are people finding the best place to order the e8500 that will get it out to me the day it's released?

Last edited:
I would reconsider the early 8x00s. Mixed reports there. No one can tell the difference of any of the C2Ds/C2Qs above 3.2ghz in games so paying a premium for a possible 4-4.2ghz OC over a 3.8-3.9ghz seems silly especially if you can get a quad that will do 3.6(air) -4 (H20)ghz for similiar $. Also the newer quads seem to clock well on air and at the same clock speed are still slightly faster than the C2Ds. Your money and your choice...I made the switch from an OC'd FX60 to a Q6600 G0 and have no regrets even with the Wolfies and Yorkies about to be released....it is all good!

I would really wait for the chip to be released retail into the US and tested a little more before making speculations on them as of yet.

I would reconsider the early 8x00s. Mixed reports there. No one can tell the difference of any of the C2Ds/C2Qs above 3.2ghz in games so paying a premium for a possible 4-4.2ghz OC over a 3.8-3.9ghz seems silly especially if you can get a quad that will do 3.6(air) -4 (H20)ghz for similiar $. Also the newer quads seem to clock well on air and at the same clock speed are still slightly faster than the C2Ds. Your money and your choice...I made the switch from an OC'd FX60 to a Q6600 G0 and have no regrets even with the Wolfies and Yorkies about to be released....it is all good!

$300 for a processor is far from a premium. Not that I have money to throw around or anything, but the fact is... that much money for a processor. Is pretty much nothing. Take a look on newegg at high end processor prices. I'd rather get the best one they are releasing then regret not getting it after i have one of the others.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

Ok so I am wondering what is this guy talking about when he says "I prefer to overclock from the bios, so uguru loses some value there with me. Also temperature and voltage readings in uguru don't seem accurate. This board also seems to suffer from a little bit of vdroop, but nothing that has yet to hinder overclocking for me."?

Do you need to software overclock or something?

Back