• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So who's gonna get an Everex Cloudbook?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Old Thrashbarg

Fist of all, a link for those who don't know what I'm talking about...

I like the looks of this thing over the EeePC, because of its 30gb hard drive and [supposedly] longer battery life. Also the gap under the screen looks like it'd make for a nice way to hold it securely while using it up and about. My only real complaint is the ridiculously tiny touchpad on it.

Anybody happen to know how the Via C7M compares to the Celeron in the Asus? I'd think it's about equivalent, though I hear the Celeron is apparently being underclocked to 630mhz, so maybe the Via would be a bit faster? I can't seem to find any direct comparisons.

The price is certainly right, so I'm considering picking one of these up when they're released. Anyone else feel the same?

If i was going to get a device like that, it would be the Eeepc. Really have no need for 30gb on such a device.

Look neats but....

I will NEVER ever ever buy an everex. EVER.

My roomate had a decent laptop of theirs. Cooling was absolutely horrid. To top it off, screws were literally falling out of the laptop, and he took very good care of it. They have some serious build quality issues.

I have heard similar complaints from other people that have them...

I will NEVER ever ever buy an everex. EVER.

Well, I've had equally terrible results with Asus products (with my old P2B motherboard being the one and only exception), so I dunno. Horrid cooling shouldn't really be an issue on a Via ULV machine. Guess I'll have to wait for some official reviews to come in on it and see for sure, though. It seems to just be a rebadged reference machine, though I don't know its OEM. There's already a version available in Europe under the Packard Bell name.

30gb is indeed overkill for such a machine, but 4gb on the EeePC is a bit skimpy IMO, especially when the two are equally priced.

How about this, then: Putting aside the fact that it's an Everex, what are people's opinions on the Via notebook platform in general?

How about this, then: Putting aside the fact that it's an Everex, what are people's opinions on the Via notebook platform in general?
Look neats but....

Looks like one of the fake computers you get for children though...

Well, I've had equally terrible results with Asus products
You totally missed my point. The cooling was lower priority. The fact that the screws were falling out of the computer should indicate the build quality of this company. :beer:

You totally missed my point

No, I didn't. With the exception of that ancient P2B motherboard I have, every Asus-branded product that I or anyone in my family/friends circle has ever owned has been either poorly assembled or has experienced some other catastrophic failure due to a fault in the product. That includes an instance of a loose screw falling into and shorting out the PSU on an Asus SFF machine. I realize that my experience isn't the norm, but I'm also reserving the possibility that your experience might not be the norm for Everex either. (Or at least this particular model of Everex, which prolly isn't even made by Everex.) That, of course, remains to be seen once this thing hits the wild.

And anyway, if the machine turns out to be good otherwise, I do own a screwdriver. ;)

Back