• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinkpad R50e reliable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palesicklydwarf

Found a good deal on a used TP R50e and was wondering if there were any well known quirks/problems with it(like the memory slot problem on the R30's)?

Thanks for any info! :beer:

Specs of R50e:

14" LCD
1.6Ghz P4
512MB Ram
30GB HDD
DVD Drive

I hadn't run into any issues and used one for about 1.5 years. The planar is actually almost identical to the T40 with integrated video. The only issues that I had to deal with on the T40s was stress fractures in the BGA mount for the ATI FireGL.

Thank you for the reply. I have decided to go ahead and buy it for $250. I think it is a good deal, as I can't afford the extra needed for a new vostro 1000 right now. The R50e should run rings around my current HP 700mhz P3. :D

Thanks for the insight!

I'm using XP w/ 512MB and a 4200rpm hdd now with the 700mhz P3. It performs basic tasks pretty well, but a lot of websites that use lots of flash tend to slow it to a crawl. Flashblock helps unless I need to actually use flash to even see the content of a site. The speedier CPU alone in the R50e should be a significant performance boost for the surfing that I do.

Back