• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blunderboy10000

Registered
Hi,

I've just done my first overclock and got my e6700 running at 3.4 ghz and orthos stable. During all my tests I had my ram at sync which was 340mhz and timings of 5:5:5:18 @1.85v - so just to clarify, cpuZ reports this as 1:1 ratio @680mhz.

My problem is as soon as I change the ram speed to its stock speed of 800mhz with the same timings it boots but hangs during orthos. When I used to run everything at stock, the ram ran fine at 800mhz with no probs. I thought that if I was just running the ram at its rated speed ie no overclocking then it would at least run. Is there a relationship to the fsb even if the ram speed is not linked to it. I changed the ram voltage up a few notches but had no luck with this. Any advice is very welcome!

cheers...

You need to bump the ram voltage to i would say 2.0v or 2.1v see i have the same ram as you and i can run mine at 800mhz 2.1v you could get those timings down to 4-4-4-12 too

Oh sorry just read all the post i still think those timings are wrong though 2.1v or even 2.2v and 4-4-4-12 will see you right

You need to bump the ram voltage to i would say 2.0v or 2.1v see what the rated voltages are, im guessing you could get those timings down to 4-4-4-12 too

Hi,

I got up too 2.0v but I can try higher..I thought that If i wasnt overclocking the ram then the voltage would stay the same as my stock settings? Apologies if this is a dopey question...!

You need to bump the ram voltage to i would say 2.0v or 2.1v see i have the same ram as you and i can run mine at 800mhz 2.1v you could get those timings down to 4-4-4-12 too

Oh sorry just read all the post i still think those timings are wrong though 2.1v or even 2.2v and 4-4-4-12 will see you right

I was trying to run everything slack so I could start without any extra variables.trying 2.1v now..

no idea possibly bad ram those sticks are rated to run 4-4-4-12 @ 800mhz at up to 2.3v but generally 2.0-2.1v will suffice

no idea possibly bad ram those sticks are rated to run 4-4-4-12 @ 800mhz at up to 2.3v but generally 2.0-2.1v will suffice

Thanks again but in my first post i asked if there was a relationship between the fsb and the ram speed even if they were `unlinked`?. Am I right in thinking if the ram ran at 800mhz with loose timings at stock fsb then it should work `unlinked`at overclocked fsb with loose timings? I thought I would need to put more volts through only if I was overclocking the ram?

In your original post you say that orthos hangs do you mean it completely freezes and crashes windows?

Yes if your ram ran stock at 800mhz there should be no problem running it at 800mhz when oc'd providing you have a divider or the option to do so in the bios.

Back to where i was going, if orthos is freezing and crashing windows and not just stopping like it should with the red stopped message, this can be an indication of a bad overclock and or faulty hardware, most likely the ram at least in my experience, as i had several sticks of crucial ballistix that done exactly this and after replacing them i was good to go.

Run orthos at stock cpu no oc with 800mhz ram settings and see what happens then run memtest 86 and do at least one full pass of that, if there are any fails you will then have to identify the faulty stick/s by removing one at a time and then re running memtest.

Finally can you tell me a little about other voltages you are running and on what motherboard etc so i can further advise.

In your original post you say that orthos hangs do you mean it completely freezes and crashes windows?

Yes if your ram ran stock at 800mhz there should be no problem running it at 800mhz when oc'd providing you have a divider or the option to do so in the bios.

Back to where i was going, if orthos is freezing and crashing windows and not just stopping like it should with the red stopped message, this can be an indication of a bad overclock and or faulty hardware, most likely the ram at least in my experience, as i had several sticks of crucial ballistix that done exactly this and after replacing them i was good to go.

Run orthos at stock cpu no oc with 800mhz ram settings and see what happens then run memtest 86 and do at least one full pass of that, if there are any fails you will then have to identify the faulty stick/s by removing one at a time and then re running memtest.

Finally can you tell me a little about other voltages you are running and on what motherboard etc so i can further advise.

Hi again,

Well sometimes it would freeze windows and other times just reset itself completely..Just as a side note, I pulled back the overclock to 3.2ghz with the ram going at 800mhz and then 853mhz and proved stable after one hour which is longer than with the earlier crashes..Ive also had the cpu @3.00ghz with stock everything and ram @800mhz so its seems like its just not happy with the fsb at that speed of 1360?

cpu @3.2ghz vcore 1.4
cpu @3.4ghz vcore 1.5 ( I know this is a big step to get another 200mhz!)
(mboard has a 650i chipset..)

Back