• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop wont post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red_LightRanger

Ok so I had a problem with the power connection on my laptop (flickering on and off battery) so I decided to take it apart. I found the culprit on the mobo and decided to add a little solder onto the connection. Well now I put it all back together and it wont post. In fact the screen is blank and nothing will come up.

If i somehow screwed up the screen how do i test it? Or is it the screen at all?

Ok so I had a problem with the power connection on my laptop (flickering on and off battery) so I decided to take it apart. I found the culprit on the mobo and decided to add a little solder onto the connection. Well now I put it all back together and it wont post. In fact the screen is blank and nothing will come up.

If i somehow screwed up the screen how do i test it? Or is it the screen at all?

It won't POST as in nothing's moving? That can be a million things... Any LED's on?

If you have HDD activity, connect an external monitor...

If the HDD activity LED is not blinking at all you probably screwed up something else (it doesn't go past POST)...

Did you have to remove the memory/CPU in the dismantling process? You might wanna reseat your memory and double check the fan connection.

C.

ok it starts up fans run etc and hd led lights up. screens blank. If i hook up an external monitor dont I have to do that in windows? Or can i just plug it in? Or do i have to remove the old monitor?

ok it starts up fans run etc and hd led lights up. screens blank. If i hook up an external monitor dont I have to do that in windows? Or can i just plug it in? Or do i have to remove the old monitor?

If the external monitor stays blank, there's a combination of keys that you wanna try. It's usually Fn + an F-key: Fn+F8 on my Dell, Fn+F7 on my wife's IBM, etc... This switches the view to an external monitor without having to do that in the video card settings menu.

Again, the HDD should not just light up, it should keep blinking (as in: the comp is past POST and it's loading the OS).

C.

Back