• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a little um, discussion I got going.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You should ask your question here:

Spbeyond said:
Hello all. I bought a Kandalf LCS and was looking thru it. I love the overall design it is just so slick! The one thing I was wondering about though is why the decision was made to go with 3/8id tubing for the system but then they put in a 1/4 id radiator! Why would they do that?! So they basicly just reduced the system performance. Now I gotta change out the rad. I was just wondering why they made that choice. Anyone know? Because I know all around the net they are talking about this. Thanks for any insight!

And I will answer it. YES 1/4 tubing will impact your temps by a substantial amount. The kits from Thermaltake are a joke, only slightly better than stock cooling and quite a bit worse than high end air. They can't even compare to "real" watercooling systems ;)

I would recommend getting a case you like and building a watercooling system from the ground up. Most of the time, it will be the same price and you will have better performance.

OH i Know. I did ask the question here. I just wanted to see what the thermaltake guys would say. Eventually Im going to take my Kandalf case (which I really like) replace the radiator, pump and block and go with a larger tubing I think to... Eventually. Gotta get more $. Wow looking at the first post I need spelling lessons. Or typing lessons, one of the two.

Oh thermaltake, how I love your cases, but loathe your cooling.
Its really true. The case kicks ***. I love the whole thing. If they could only get there Watercooling up to par. Then it would kick ***.

Its really true. The case kicks ***. I love the whole thing. If they could only get there Watercooling up to par. Then it would kick ***.

Thermaltake is kind of known for taking an idea someone else has had, rehashing it, and then adding a whole lot of bling to it. Now, that actually works well for their cases. They make some pretty sweet cases that are made extremely well, and use proven methodology. Not to mention they generally look awesome.

However, they get themselve sin trouble though when it comes to cooling products. For th emost par,t their products skimp on material and craftmanship, in exchange for extra bling. This can be seen in their water cooling kits, and most of their air coolers as well.

I think if Thermaltake were serious about water cooling, first, they would design thir cases to be better suited to larger diamter tubing (namely when it comes to their tube access holes, and punch outs), and focus on quality.

Their waterblock isn't anythign to get excited about, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad if the "kit" used a competative radiator, and more powerful pump.

I'm not gonna jump on their forums, but i don't see how you can look at the graph they posted and come to their conclusion that tube diameter makes no difference... :rolleyes:

t_radiator_849.jpg

yeah, they linked to another thread on diameter/performance. I went and checked it out.

Yeah thats on there site. I think its stickied under a efficiency article that he immediatly linked me to, so that I would see it didn't matter. LOL I actually mentioned that the graph does seem to say there is a large gap in proformance. ( I mentioned it after you pointed it out LOL) I have a hard time understanding graphs for some reason... I got the dumb.

Actually I think I just try to look at the whole thing and immediatly try and get some meaning out of it. Instead of looking the whole thing over. I guess I just need to learn to slow down and read things. LOL

Ok, I just checked out that thread and the link. they posted ot the diameter thread. They are rehashing discussion regarding thermal conductivity Cathar laid to rest YEARS ago.

Anyhoo, in their they link to a new radiator of theirs. Which actually looks like something we are more familiar with, ecxept it made out of aluminum...

Lol yeah, exactly.

The only real problem I have with their kits, and the koolance kits, besides them being crap, is they market them as being these uber-rific cooling setups. I mean I suppose if you run stock speeds they might do an ok job, but how the hell is a badly made 120.1 rad, in a low flow setup, going to get good temps on an over clocked cpu and GPU?

It's their marketing that gets me, suckers in peopel to spend hundreds of dollars on crap.

It's their marketing that gets me, suckers in peopel to spend hundreds of dollars on crap.

I'll second that...

You can watercool with a via aqua, heatercore, and used swifty Apogee cpu block or whatever and be 10 times better off.

I think Im being ignored now that I challanged him and there design. :) LOL

Back