• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with storage drive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rattle

Here's my problem, well my REAl problem is nvidia and there motherboards, specifically NVRAID.

I have WD 400gb drive I use for storage and I have a couple files I need off of it. I got the urge to go raid 0 again on my seagates after dual booting vista and XP with them again for awhile. Vista is total DOGPOOP so I loaded XP in raid 0 again. Thing is my WD is seen in windows as a foreign disk now and the only option disk managment gives me is to convert it to a basic drive and clear all the data...

I tried putting it on another machine but that has a NV mobo also, an NF4 and it sees it as a foreign disc too...

what did NV do to my HD? I have gone back and forth from raid to no raid, xp and vista on intel mobos and the drive was always there and accessible.

Anyone know how I can get into it again?

I know this might not have anything to do with your specific problem, but look into a program called Partition Magic, it might give you a chance to look at the contents of the hard drive.

Check your System event log for 80004005 with LDM as the source. If it is there, you may have lost the configuration descriptors for your dynamic disk. This is not good.

Since it's a single drive, it may be possible to recover the data, but depending on how old the backup configuration data is on the drive, it may not be intact.

Try R-Studio to get whatever you can off the drive. More than likely, it will find everything that's there. The downside is, that when you recover that data, if the configuration data was old, many of your older files will probably be corrupt. They will have the correct file names, sizes, and attributes, but will just be mostly empty data.

Good luck.

Also, if at all possible, do not use dynamic disks again. This is exactly why.

EDIT:

I used this method 3 weeks ago on my RAID3 array that lost a disk during a Win2K3 Server reinstall and I was able to recover 75% of what was there. If after reading it you feel uneasy, you may want to use it as a last resort...it is not for the faint-hearted. Link.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Here's what I do know now.

With a eVGA 680i when you have raid going for some reason ANY OTHER DRIVES dont show in the bios or in windows aside from the NV storage proggy.

I know it makes no sense, bios doesnt see, NOTHING IN WINDOWS sees it, not even disk management, but NVIDIA sees it.

When i realized this I put it on my GF's machine and then I ran into the foreign disc issue.
I found by searching online a nifty little proggy called testdisk, it runs in DOS right off windows desktop and enables you to configure drives however you wish.
The other great thing is you dont have to actually install anything, like 99% of those garbage *** partition and so called magical Hard drive programs which I HATE.

So since I wanted to run raid and I have this nvidia issue not wanting to see the drive, I formatted an old 40gb IDE i forgot I had, since raid was disabled on the mobo, the mobo saw it and windows saw it but it was still foreign. I then used testdisk to change it to a primary drive and upon reboot, there it was in all is glory. 4 years of stuff but mainly about 5 pieces of data I really needed.

I then copied the whole drive to my USB external drive and pulled the orignal.

All is well aside from nvidia motherboards and nvraid sucking worse than anything I have ever encountered.

For a comparison, I set up intel matrix raid on 965, then put it on a 975, then went to a p35 and back to a 975, all on the same install and raid array, and NEVER EVER once did I have a problem seeing any of the drives i had connected including the drive in question.

These are the sacrifices we have to make to run SLI LMAO.

Back