• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrade from 20" 1400x1050 to 22" WS 1680x1050?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I currently have a Samsung 203B 20" LCD that has a 4:3 aspect ratio (1400x1050), and I'm tempted to go a step up and get widescreen, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824252008

I'm just not sure how worth it it will be. Is gaming a lot better in widescreen?

Also, I think I may get a TV tuner for my computer, any idea how the image would look on each? Would it be stretched for the widescreen one?

I'd also sell my old one so it wouldn't be a whole lot of $$ to upgrade to it.

i would say no... the 20" regular and 22" WS is not much different. If i have to choose, i would jump all the way to 30".

Hm hm, I actually feel like my 22" is smaller than my friend's 19" letterbox =.=. It is actually (of course the resolution is bigger). I agree with warlock -- if anything just upgrade to a 28" or something.

EDIT: I love widescreen gaming btw.

both of the recommened options add quite a bit to the price however I do agree that a 22" is not that much of an upgrade besides moving from 4:3 to 16:10. Personally if I where in the same situation I would go 24" this can be had for 300 on up*. If you can afford a 28" that would be really sick but again that is in quite another price range even though you can get one for like 500 or so that is more then 2x the linked price.

*you can get a soyo 24" for 300 from officemax

My only concern with going larger (say 24") is the higher resolution, which means to play games at my native res I'll need to make sure I always have a very powerful video card, right? Or is 1920x1200 not as extreme anymore (I remember 1600x1200 used to be really high back in the day)?

Also, upgrading to the 22" WS would probably only cost me like $75 or so depending on what I sell my old one for.

So you guys don't think gaming in WS is all that much better then?

My only concern with going larger (say 24") is the higher resolution, which means to play games at my native res I'll need to make sure I always have a very powerful video card, right? Or is 1920x1200 not as extreme anymore (I remember 1600x1200 used to be really high back in the day)?

Also, upgrading to the 22" WS would probably only cost me like $75 or so depending on what I sell my old one for.

So you guys don't think gaming in WS is all that much better then?

The 22" at 1680x1050 have almost 1.8M pixels...the 24-28" at 1920x1200 have almost 2.4M pixels...that's about 33% more pixels. nVidia calls either one "Extreme HD". So you do have a very valid point. But as things continue to progress, getting something that's only "acceptable" today, will be a dissappointment tomorrw.

Back