• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new Q6600 Rig & Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyFire47

Registered
howdy y'all,

got the new q6600 in sig and a few questions to all the quad users on the boards. am currently testing for stability and:

1. prime95'ed overnight at 3.0ghz (333fsb @ 1:1) using 1.2350 vcore and its stable
2. now priming overnight again at 3.2ghz (356fsb @ 1:1) using 1.2350 vcore and it's doing good so far.

my questions are:

-idle temps are 37/30/33/36
-load temps are 59/47/49/59

are these normal temps are a bad mounting job of the TRUE? is 10° a big difference on a quad core? should i remount? also, any idea what the top speeds are going for on air? what's the most common OC with this chip? i know vcore shouldn't be pushed past 1.5 and load temps should stay under 70° so i'm just curious as to what's a realistic max OC on this would be. appreciate any insight and thanks in advance.

Actually you didn't state the stepping of your Q6600. I am assuming since it is brand new it is a G0...if it is a G0 then you should be able to get around 3.4-3.6 on air...depending on your cooling solution. I am guessing you have a G0 by looking at your temps. If it is a B3 then you will have a tough time getting that high...your max will probably be around 3.2-3.4.

>_< sorry about that guys. it is a G0 stepping. thanks for the input. anyone have any ideas on the temps though? at load, 2 cores stay right around 60° and the other to stay close to 50° so i'm doing ok. just wondering if this is normal and i have nothing to worry about or if i should remount and all cores should be around 50°?

It's probably just because you need to lap it! I would (my temps differ by like 5*C) but I'm too lazy to spend a couple hours doing it :bang head I also got a G0

I have been running for months with a spread in the core temps as you can see by my pic. I believe that most do get some spread. Your spread does seem a little high so it may be worth a remount.

This is on water, at idle, with the rad fans throttled down silent. Heats on in the room and it is warm . So you seem to be doing OK with your temps.

Attachments

• core temp.jpg
    core temp.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 239
Mines at 2448 G0 Stepping, I guess I should lap because at load it's 48/48/42/40, and I could shave quite a bit (Enzotech Ultra-X)

This is as tight as my spread will go, ive been fighting a losing battle
spredeu0.jpg

I'm right about where you are Perplex, i can make 3.6, but vcore up to about 1.48-49 and temps a little hotter than I like. Instead I'm doing daily use at 3.2 no problems at all.

>_< sorry about that guys. it is a G0 stepping. thanks for the input. anyone have any ideas on the temps though? at load, 2 cores stay right around 60° and the other to stay close to 50° so i'm doing ok. just wondering if this is normal and i have nothing to worry about or if i should remount and all cores should be around 50°?

My temps at idle are about 34/34/32/31, under load however, they are 56/56/46/45. When I first installed my TRUE there was about a 15° diff between them, and it was more like 65/65/50/49. The first time I spread the TP and then put on the HSF, when I reseated I used the line across the middle method. One thing I noticed when I reseated it is that the pegs on the back plate that sit in the motherboard, one of them doesn't sit all the way in, no matter how I tighten it down.

My temps at idle are about 34/34/32/31, under load however, they are 56/56/46/45. When I first installed my TRUE there was about a 15° diff between them, and it was more like 65/65/50/49. The first time I spread the TP and then put on the HSF, when I reseated I used the line across the middle method. One thing I noticed when I reseated it is that the pegs on the back plate that sit in the motherboard, one of them doesn't sit all the way in, no matter how I tighten it down.

thanks. i actually used the line across method as instructed in one of the stickies up top. i guess there's not too much to worry about as long as temps stay good.

UPDATE - 3.2ghz @ 1:1 w/ 1.2350 vcore is stable. gonna try for 3.4 next. any ideas what vcores are common for 3.4ghz and 3.6ghz?

Back