• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardin

So I finally got it and it's pretty fun, but it takes me like 2 hours to complete each mission in the campaign. How long does it take for most people to complete them?

So I finally got it and it's pretty fun, but it takes me like 2 hours to complete each mission in the campaign. How long does it take for most people to complete them?

I know in the first one it took roughly 90-120min per mission for me on hard. Sure it will get better further you get into it and learn the controls and that, but when they limit you to certain pieces of equipment it will take longer than expected.

So is it worth picking up?

I do like a good rts game once in a while.
Yes. Also, if you don't play multiplayer, don't bother picking up SupCom, just get the expansion, since it's standalone. Only thing a supcom CD-key gives you is ability to use the original three races in multiplayer games launched from GPGNet (the important part).

what if you want to play multiplayer?
If i bought the expansion only, could I still play online against people of the other race just not be able to play them? Or would it keep me from joining like 90% of the games?

I tried to play Supreme commander. It was awesome, but just too epic for my liking. Don't get me wrong, it was a interesting and very thought out game. Does the expansion tone it down a bit or is it just as epic as the original?

I tried to play Supreme commander. It was awesome, but just too epic for my liking. Don't get me wrong, it was a interesting and very thought out game. Does the expansion tone it down a bit or is it just as epic as the original?

Just as epic. But they messed with the mass a bit so building huge power/mass farms at tech 3 is a lot less effective. Their idea was to switch it up so that there were more large tech 1 and 2 battles instead of tech racing and building up mass amounts of Experimentals.

That being said, I did exactly that in the game, sustain myself for about an hour or so, then build a huge amount of elementals (I <3 Cybran) especially the Gunship which rocks everything! then the Monkeylord Spider bots. So when the map expanded and I was attacked right away I had a huge army to defend myself!

I really liked the campaign, but I think the replayability is kind of lacking considering that the end result will always be the same. And I really liked Dostya compared to everyone else.

Luckily. They set it up for another expansion.

I just played it, it runs fine on my processor believe it or not. On max settings. Its just too big for me. I don't like to play games that take longer than an hour max. This game seems like 2 vs 2 matches would take an hour minimum. I'll stick to my age of the empires 3!

for some reason I sucked at supcom, yet I am godly when I play COH...

I seem to lack uber base building skills, but the game was fun...

what if you want to play multiplayer?
If i bought the expansion only, could I still play online against people of the other race just not be able to play them? Or would it keep me from joining like 90% of the games?
You'd only be able to play as Seraphim vs whatever. So you're not really limited in your opponents, only race.

I just played it, it runs fine on my processor believe it or not. On max settings. Its just too big for me. I don't like to play games that take longer than an hour max. This game seems like 2 vs 2 matches would take an hour minimum. I'll stick to my age of the empires 3!
Actually, most matches take <20 minutes. Well. If no one processer lags. 4v4s tend to be over 40-50 gametime minutes in with multiple expirimentals walking the field. A evenly-matched 1v1 will run the entire T1 to expirimental gauntlet in about 30 minutes.

Just as epic. But they messed with the mass a bit so building huge power/mass farms at tech 3 is a lot less effective. Their idea was to switch it up so that there were more large tech 1 and 2 battles instead of tech racing and building up mass amounts of Experimentals.

Still not too hard to get a good mass income up, just the way of doing it changed. As mentioned, even games with expirimentals don't really take all that long. 27 mass per tick from storaged T3 mass extractors isn't nothing =p. Expirimentals are cheaper, too, don't forget. And defenitly don't forget about reclaiming dead stuff. You can pop out a ML while evreyone else is still at T2 by defending well and controlling the field of battle to reclaim. And MLs/Fatboys/GCs/Seraphimchickenthingy just cream T1/T2.

FA is so much better then SupCom because of these changes - there's so many damn options for different situations now, since costs and strategic abilities are so much more balanced. It's freakishly scary how much different stuff you can do and still be effective. Except by building T2 artillery. Those suck really hard now compared to anything else you can do =p

I'm building a unit pack. Experimentals, designed to give the Aeon, Cybran and UEF the punch that they lack in certain areas. They'll be role specific, and have numerous strengths and weaknesses. :beer:

I finally won a skirmish match earlier today. It was a ffa with 3 ai normals. One of the AIs killed the other two after I seriously weakened one of them. Eventually I took him down! I think it took just under 2 hours. I just wish my framerates were better I was getting 3 fps when I launched my final assault. I need a quad core!

Na you just need to crank up that CPU to 3.2Ghz+ and it will run inicely.

Or you could of been hitting ram limiatations.

I was actually playing on my new amd computer, here let me update my sig as this is the one I'm using right now. You are still right about overclocking the cpu though. I haven't pushed it past 2.8ghz because I have the stock heatsink right now. Also would I see an increase with 4gb of ram?

I finally won a skirmish match earlier today. It was a ffa with 3 ai normals. One of the AIs killed the other two after I seriously weakened one of them. Eventually I took him down! I think it took just under 2 hours. I just wish my framerates were better I was getting 3 fps when I launched my final assault. I need a quad core!
There's bugs with the AI that cause massive performance losses as the game goes on with multiple AIs, especially on maps where there is enough water to build a naval factory (that counts puddles...). Even killing an AI doesn't help, strangely enough. Well, only in FA, at least, if that's what you're playing.

There's also a strange bug where an allied AI will somehow start ordering your units around.
Hopefully those things get fixed.

I can't remember the map but it was one of the maps with land and a lake in the center. I didn't know about this bug but it's very annoying having the framerates degrade so much over the game.

Does saving and leaving the game help?

I know it was an issue with SC in longer games that eventually it would degrade horribly but think it got better in the end when units died :)

Back