• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My laptop turns itself on.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techun

So I push the power button to put my laptop into standby, then it turns back on within five minutes. Pushing the button again can turn it off for up to 8 hours. Last night it came back on while I was sleeping.

What's going on? lol

wake on lan?

WOL only functions if you send a specific packet to the nic. If that packet is being sent its possible someone is trying to access the machine.

Does your machine hae auto updates active? its possible the machine is trying to update.

WOL only functions if you send a specific packet to the nic. If that packet is being sent its possible someone is trying to access the machine.

Does your machine hae auto updates active? its possible the machine is trying to update.
But he is at a University. To the OP do you use Ethernet or wireless back at your dorm.

But he is at a University. To the OP do you use Ethernet or wireless back at your dorm.

:confused: How did you know I was at a university....lol

I'm currently using wireless, and I just set it so it wouldn't automatically update, and the time for that was 5 am, that could be it if the autoupdater has the ability to pull the laptop out of standby

Your computer sends network info constantly probably. In windows go into power settings (control panel) and go to management or something and unchecked the "this device can bring the compute out of stand by" box. (or right click my computer > manage)

So i was messing around in the windows security thing and first off I can't turn off automatic updates. It says it updated itself at 5:02 am, when it should've been off. I also turned on windows defender, which i hate, and forget how to remove.

So I push the power button to put my laptop into standby, then it turns back on within five minutes. Pushing the button again can turn it off for up to 8 hours. Last night it came back on while I was sleeping.

What's going on? lol

I had a similar problem with a Sager: the thing was turning on, off and restart on a random basis. It turned out it was a bad power module that was doing that (and fry the mobo and/or the video card once in a while). It took quite a few trips to Clifornia to get it repaired, they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I was lucky enough to catch it on tape though, the Sager tech almost said I was seeing things:bang head. The laptop worked fine for 2 1/2 years after that...

C.

Back