• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with new E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

Hey all, I'm eager to start testing my E8400 but I have a problem I need to resolve first.

Nothing I've ever used to check temperature works with this chip. TAT says invalid processor. Coretemp and Everest report 40/38 (no fluctuation) no matter what I do. Everest even has a "CPU Temp" (not core temp) option that started out around 32-35 and bounced around. I was going to use that, but after my first PCMark05 run the temp is at 82C and won't budge.

So, what are my options? Before you suggest anything know that I am using the most up to date drivers available for EVERYTHING in my system. I did a fresh install of XP last night and have been updating it ever since. I am also using the newest version of CoreTemp and Everest.

Thanks.

In the process of overclocking my system I managed to get Coretemp to read temps. It appears that if my temps are below 41/38 it will report 41/38. However, as soon as temps exceed 41/38 it reads them "accurately".

Question is how accurate are the numbers? Its plainly obvious it is bugged, can I trust its readings or not?

Thanks.

This seems to be a common issue popping up on these chips. You could RMA the chip if the store will let you, or you can just 'wing-it'.

This seems to be a common issue popping up on these chips. You could RMA the chip if the store will let you, or you can just 'wing-it'.

I wonder if all chips will do it or just this particular one?

I'm thinking it might be a conflict with my older P965 chipset. Problem is I don't have a newer board to test it in.

The temperatures are so erratic with these chips, I don't think you can really trust anything. For a chip that's supposed to be cooler, uses less power, I don't see how it idles at 42C at stock voltages and speed in my system when my E6600 ran ten degrees cooler overclocked 1ghz and +.1V. I'm hoping a BIOS fix is gonna solve this problem but I'm not optimistic. I say just use common sense at this point when raising voltages and overclocking.

it could go either way guys... either bios update or coolest needs more info on 45nm to get coretemp to work correctly.

it could go either way guys... either bios update or coolest needs more info on 45nm to get coretemp to work correctly.

Its def one or more of these issues because:

1) I know with my mobo NO ONE has gotten stable temp reads... aBit knows about this and is working on it

2) I've seen some people RMA their E8400 and get new ones back that they did get "accurate" readings for

3) As you said, coretemp may need an update.

I just don't think any of the programs are optimized for reading the new technology in this chip...just be careful and give it some time for an update.:beer:

My E8400 does pretty much the same thing. Reports 29/46 in coretemp until the temp exceeds those readings when loaded and which point it seems to scale properly. My motherboard reads the temperature as well, which when under load is actually about 8-10c higher than the coretemp reading. It seems to maybe be a bit high, but who knows. Either way, neither utility reads over 60c after 8+ hours of Orthos so I hope I am safe.

my core temp reads 14*c and 10*c and then under load it reads 30-35*c, so its all wrong, no way under my phase its getting over 20*c, my 6420 never did, even with 1.7v and 3.9ghz.

Alright...I just primed this chip with 1.152V @3.7ghz for 10 hours. Temps are around 41c. I think I'll keep it and hope the software can catch up.

Sorry for the double post.

Another problem I've been having is the inability to modify the CPU's multiplier. I'd like to drop it down to 6 so I can find my max ram/fsb. Instead I'll have to guess which component needs extra juice until I get it right. :/

Sorry for the double post.

Another problem I've been having is the inability to modify the CPU's multiplier. I'd like to drop it down to 6 so I can find my max ram/fsb. Instead I'll have to guess which component needs extra juice until I get it right. :/

this was a problem people had with Qx9650 on IP35-pro/IX38 boards, you need a bios update..

Here are two screen shots of coretemp on the same motherboard with a e6850 and an e8400 (same multiplier and bus, different manufacturing process 65nm vs. 45nm), notice the temp differences, I took both of these after 10 minutes after signing into windows. Using same heatsink and fan on both as well.

Not that this proves anything other than they are different I guess... at any rate, I sent the 8400 back and when I get the replacement I'll post shots of coretemp on it.

clap

Attachments

• e6850.PNG
    e6850.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 437
  • e8400.png
    e8400.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 438
I too am having awful temp monitoring issues, speedfan doesnt pick up core temps, coretemp show 5c diff in core temps yes i have reseated, and 1 core never drops below 42c im thinking it's just software problem atm but have also considred rma'ing this chip.

PS Vista x64 is even worse nothing works even slightly.

Back