• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware / XP question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supraway

Ok, I upgraded my personal computer (see sig) to XP from 2k. So far, I have been enjoying XP. I also formatted my Duron 800 computer, which was my Linux box, and installed XP until I need Linux again. These two computers are fairly fast, and can handle XP.

I have the family computer here, which is running 98 and has gotten to be unbearably slow. It is a P3 500 @ 600, DFI motherboard, 256 Megs ram, 20 GIG IBM 7200 rpm hard drive, SB Live!, TNT2 Ultra, etc.... Would it be wise to install XP on this computer, or would I be testing it's hardware too much?

So basically, 98SE or XP. Which?

BTW, XP crashed on my personal computer today, that's the second time in about a month. Stability of Win2k :).

Hi supraway,
Personally I'll go with XP, coz faster than Win98, but bigger, and onestly the system doesn't seem to be so slowly, has a fast Hd, a good Vid card, and a good quantity of ram for an OS like XP.

I've found DFI boards to be slower than most...although they are generally stable

perhaps you are due for a CPU upgrade in that board also

Back