Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by madzero1 View Post
    Hipcrostino: I believe the rumor you are talking about is located here: http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=6317
    yeah thats the one. Thanks
    i7 2600k
    Water cooled
    AsRock z68 Extreme4
    Corsair 1600mhz cl7 4gb
    EVGA 580GTX
    OCZ Revo x2 220GB
    Corsair 750W PSU
    2x 22" LCD monitors (1 is 120hz)

So even your new CPU has a strange 10-15C difference at all times, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by anna99 View Post
    temp problem solved,i exchanged a brand new cpu with diff batch#,now my cpu temp is 29-33C core0 temp is 27-32c core1 temp stays 42c unchanged,when i stress test cpu temp max at 57c core0 at 57c core1 at 56c,much better than 6xC before.runing at 4.05ghz with 1.30v,i am happy cause i can match other people's cool temp now,but there still some people can get their coretemp at 40ish C under load.

my chilltec cooler reader reads idle is 24-25c,load at 27c.seems too low to be true.

i also had a voltage jumping up and down problem with my zalman zm600,replace with a corsair tx750,voltage much stable now,and i also get a much more accurate +12v and +5v. output.

the only problem left now is my chilltec cooler fan still speed up for a sec then slow down for another sec,doing this loop most of the time.

Registered
    Hmm, anna99 did you get your CPU at a store? I got mine from microcenter and have since destroyed the plastic box and such but have retained the cardboard box itself. Maybe I should see if they will do an exchange as my temps reported by coretemp are about Core 1:68c Core 2:64c max. That seems a little warm to me and I would guess they're probably closer to 60c or so max, but that seems to be a large margin of error.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
    Hmm, anna99 did you get your CPU at a store? I got mine from microcenter and have since destroyed the plastic box and such but have retained the cardboard box itself. Maybe I should see if they will do an exchange as my temps reported by coretemp are about Core 1:68c Core 2:64c max. That seems a little warm to me and I would guess they're probably closer to 60c or so max, but that seems to be a large margin of error.
    the one i bought from microcenter had temp issue,i got the cooler one from frys

Registered
    Hmmm, I got the E8400 the other day for my ASUS P5N32-E SLI mobo, after having the E6750 chip already, installed it, updated the BIOS and found that it isn't compatible with my mobo! How disappointing for sure. I had called ASUS before I ordered the CPU and they said it was compatible. Go figure! I called them again yesterday, got a different tech person, and was told this CPU is NOT compatible...even if it is a socket 775. The tech person said that even though it's a socket 775, it is not compatible across the board with all 775s mobos. So, the new CPU was boxed up and sent back to MWave.com for a refund. Again, how disappointing.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeflyer View Post
    Hmmm, I got the E8400 the other day for my ASUS P5N32-E SLI mobo, after having the E6750 chip already, installed it, updated the BIOS and found that it isn't compatible with my mobo! How disappointing for sure. I had called ASUS before I ordered the CPU and they said it was compatible. Go figure! I called them again yesterday, got a different tech person, and was told this CPU is NOT compatible...even if it is a socket 775. The tech person said that even though it's a socket 775, it is not compatible across the board with all 775s mobos. So, the new CPU was boxed up and sent back to MWave.com for a refund. Again, how disappointing.
    your board has to say support 45nm cpu

Quote Originally Posted by anna99 View Post
    your board has to say support 45nm cpu
    Not true. A lot of boards were released way before 45nm, and a lot of them have gained 45nm support through updated BIOS's. Most P965, and P35 boards have gained 45nm support through updated BIOS's.
    MAIN RIG: 3570K @ 4.5GHz 1.272v H100i Extreme4-Z77 8GB-G.Skill @ 2200MHz 9-11-11-28 1.60v CM_430-Elite
    GTX670_DCuII_TOP @ 1358/7244 1.212v Xplosion-DTS 256GB-Samsung_830 1TB-Black Seasonic_X-750
    27.5"-1200P-LCD Z5500-5.1 || PLV-Z4_720P_Projector_95" Paradigm_6.1_DTS-ES
    G9_Mouse Logitech_Illuminated_KB Logitech_G27_Wheel+Microsim_Racing_Pod ***HEAT***

GAMING HTPC: i3-550 @ 4.5GHz 1.35v H70 MSI_H55M-ED55 4GB-G.Skill @ 1875MHz 7-9-7-23 1T
    GTS450 @ 970/1940/2100 240GB_Sandisk_Extreme 640GB_Blue Corsair_CX430
    Panny 42S2 1080P Plasma

unRAID FILE SERVER: E5200-M0 @ 2GHz 0.856v MSIP43Neo3-F 4GB-Corsair @ 800MHz CM590 Antec550W
    19TB-Parity_Protected_Storage / 1TB-Cache / 2TB-Parity / 10x2TB 2x1TB

I e-mailed Intel abut the sensor problems
    Heres what intel said about senors problems, talk about a load.

First,
    My e-mail, by the way I did copy and paste some info from this thread to get things started.

the temp probs in the E8400 are stuffed. The Coolest (the guy who
    makes coretemp) reports that according to Intels spec, his program is
    reading the temps correctly. In other words, coretemp is reading what
    the cpu is telling it. Case and point, my E8400. According to
    coretemp, one core is locked at 43c, the other at 51c. They will not
    read any lower than this, ever... Once the temp moves above these
    values its starts to rise, but other report completely frozen probs
    (sometimes just reading 7c!). My motherboard reports 34c on the cpu
    all the time, i have never seen it move off this value (this may be
    fixed in future bios though). Nevertheless, there seems to be
    problems with the sensors being reported on many websites, can you
    confirm this and when will the recall take place?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intels response,

The maximum operating temperature of the Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo
    processor E8400 is 61.4 degrees Celsius. As long as the processor is
    operating under this temperature it is operating within
    specifications. We recommend setting any thermal alarms about three
    (3) degrees below the maximum recommended temperature for the
    processor. We do not have a normal operating temperature for the
    processor as this temperature will vary depending on the chassis and
    other hardware installed on the system as well as the actual load the
    software is placing on the processor.

You do not need to worry about the temperature of each core, you only
    need to pay attention to the CPU temperature itself.

Currently we do not have any report on sensor problems with the
    Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E8400.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well I'll take that with a grain of salt!!!

---------------------------------
    ****UPDATE*****

That idiot at intel gave the wrong information on the E8400, the true CPU TEMP MAX IS 72.4c and the Tjunction core values remain 105c.

Here's the link to see for yourself
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAPL
    -------------------------------

PACO
    Last edited by Paco572; 01-31-08 at 01:44 PM.

Registered
    based on other forums,e8400 has a temp bug which will not report right temps.i just exchanged another cpu for testing.both core idle at 42c now,max load core goes up to 60/59.3c higher than the 2nd cpu,but cpu temp at load is 2c lower and idle is 5c higher.chilltec reads same for all 3 cpus,24-25c.idle,and it hardly go up when stress testing.

e8400

While it sucks that people are having temp reading issues with the 8400, they overclock like a beast, I finally hit 4.0+ with very low voltage. To RMA this chip because of temp reading issues to me would be stupid. I am hitting 4050@1.3125v 19 hrs orthos stable, 3.9@1.2625v 8 hrs orthos stable, 3.6@1.2v and 3.3@1.125v orthos stable for 8 hrs. With my luck Id get a chip with good temp readings that oc'd like poop.
    I say burn em up boys. Im going to enjoy it as long as it lasts and not worry about it. No offense to anyone but never heard so many people complain about a chip hitting 4.0 on low voltages before.

Quote Originally Posted by OC nub View Post
    While it sucks that people are having temp reading issues with the 8400, they overclock like a beast, I finally hit 4.0+ with very low voltage. To RMA this chip because of temp reading issues to me would be stupid. I am hitting 4050@1.3125v 19 hrs orthos stable, 3.9@1.2625v 8 hrs orthos stable, 3.6@1.2v and 3.3@1.125v orthos stable for 8 hrs. With my luck Id get a chip with good temp readings that oc'd like poop.
    I say burn em up boys. Im going to enjoy it as long as it lasts and not worry about it. No offense to anyone but never heard so many people complain about a chip hitting 4.0 on low voltages before.

Well i need 1.4375v to hit 4ghz and i cant get temps to read properly so i think i have cause to complain

Coolermaster ATCS,Intel i7 920 - currently @ 3.5ghz
    Gigabyte X58A UD5
    6gb ocz gold 1333mhz ram
    Ati XFX 4870 XXX 512mb
    3 Samsung f3 500gb hard disks in raid 0
    EKS supreme water block,1/2" tubing and barbs,xspc 360mm radiator,swiftech mcp655 vario pumpxspc single bay reservoir
    3 x yate loon 120mm fans

Quote Originally Posted by Oc1Kenube View Post
    Well i need 1.4375v to hit 4ghz and i cant get temps to read properly so i think i have cause to complain
    I agree, if I had a poor overclocking chip I'd try and RMA it also.

I find it a little hard to believe that there is a systemic problem with the temp sensor on the chip itself. Surely Intel is clued in enough to actually test the temp sensor before they make hundreds of thousands of these things and send them out. It's not like this is an error that impacts a tiny fraction of computations or something, like some of the other errata they've had. Given the recent bad press about the AMD TLB bug and the possible problems with Quads and 4 layer boards I wonder if they would be stupid or arrogant enough to release the chips with such a serious problem.
    Gigabyte P67A-UD4
    i7-2600k @ 4.5 @ 1.3V
    Thermalright Venomous-X w/GT @ 1450
    8 GB (2 x 4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24
    Gigabyte GTX 480
    Corsair 750HX

at stock speed my E8400 reads 59/53 idle

Hi @ all!

I'm Pirus from italy!

I have a E8400 Batch q744a + Asus P5E bios 502

I have the problem with 2 single core temperature!

@ idle & default setting (vcore 1.20),with coretemp & everest last beta the core 1 is @ 21° & the 2nd core @ 38°!!!

FYI to forum members, this thead is being linked to from an INQUIRER article.

+ Intel i860, i760, i530
    + I kill threads like a mass-murderer

The two cores on my E8400 also have a huge temp difference when idle. Sometimes its as much as 12-15c. They get closer temp readings when i'm running prime95. I'm not too worried about it...I can turn my Tuniq 120 down to 900rpm while surfing the web and the hottest core won't go above 38c, while the other core won't exceed 32c.

My goal was to have a 4GHz pc 24/7 that's rock solid stable. The 8400 makes it easily possible
    Last edited by PaNoS; 02-01-08 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkicak View Post
    at stock speed my E8400 reads 59/53 idle
    That doesn't sound right...Are you using the latest version of coretemp? Make the heatsink is seated correctly. Sounds like it might not be making good contact.

Has anyone tested whether thermal throttling is working on these CPUs?
    If I had one I’d use RMClock to watch for throttling; use the stock Intel heatsink and disable the fan and run Orthos. Obviously keep a close eye on temps so you can stop Orthos if it looks like the throttling isn’t working. If throttling kicks in with the DTS temps reading about 105C then it suggest that the DTS is doing its job which is controlling thermal throttling. Provided throttling works and the DTS temps are accurate in the higher range, the fact the sensor isn’t giving accurate readings at lower temps at idle seems a very minor inconvenience.
    The DTS is there to control throttling which maybe is the only thing that Intel tested it for.

Quote Originally Posted by PaNoS View Post
    That doesn't sound right...Are you using the latest version of coretemp? Make the heatsink is seated correctly. Sounds like it might not be making good contact.
    running core temp 0.96.1

i'm quite sure it is seated correctly... it was a PITA to get it to lock in the place on the mobo but i don't see how it would not be seated correctly. i guess i could take it apart tonight are reseat it but i'm not sure this is the issue.. it COULD be the thermal compound from the retail HSF got messed up as i was fighting to get the heatsink attached to the mobo.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast