• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 TEMP ISSUE,VERY DETAILED,looking for answers!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So even your new CPU has a strange 10-15C difference at all times, correct?

temp problem solved,i exchanged a brand new cpu with diff batch#,now my cpu temp is 29-33C core0 temp is 27-32c core1 temp stays 42c unchanged,when i stress test cpu temp max at 57c core0 at 57c core1 at 56c,much better than 6xC before.runing at 4.05ghz with 1.30v,i am happy cause i can match other people's cool temp now,but there still some people can get their coretemp at 40ish C under load.

my chilltec cooler reader reads idle is 24-25c,load at 27c.seems too low to be true.

i also had a voltage jumping up and down problem with my zalman zm600,replace with a corsair tx750,voltage much stable now,and i also get a much more accurate +12v and +5v. output.

the only problem left now is my chilltec cooler fan still speed up for a sec then slow down for another sec,doing this loop most of the time.

Hmm, anna99 did you get your CPU at a store? I got mine from microcenter and have since destroyed the plastic box and such but have retained the cardboard box itself. Maybe I should see if they will do an exchange as my temps reported by coretemp are about Core 1:68c Core 2:64c max. That seems a little warm to me and I would guess they're probably closer to 60c or so max, but that seems to be a large margin of error.

Hmm, anna99 did you get your CPU at a store? I got mine from microcenter and have since destroyed the plastic box and such but have retained the cardboard box itself. Maybe I should see if they will do an exchange as my temps reported by coretemp are about Core 1:68c Core 2:64c max. That seems a little warm to me and I would guess they're probably closer to 60c or so max, but that seems to be a large margin of error.

the one i bought from microcenter had temp issue,i got the cooler one from frys

Hmmm, I got the E8400 the other day for my ASUS P5N32-E SLI mobo, after having the E6750 chip already, installed it, updated the BIOS and found that it isn't compatible with my mobo! How disappointing for sure. I had called ASUS before I ordered the CPU and they said it was compatible. Go figure! I called them again yesterday, got a different tech person, and was told this CPU is NOT compatible...even if it is a socket 775. The tech person said that even though it's a socket 775, it is not compatible across the board with all 775s mobos. So, the new CPU was boxed up and sent back to MWave.com for a refund. Again, how disappointing.

Hmmm, I got the E8400 the other day for my ASUS P5N32-E SLI mobo, after having the E6750 chip already, installed it, updated the BIOS and found that it isn't compatible with my mobo! How disappointing for sure. I had called ASUS before I ordered the CPU and they said it was compatible. Go figure! I called them again yesterday, got a different tech person, and was told this CPU is NOT compatible...even if it is a socket 775. The tech person said that even though it's a socket 775, it is not compatible across the board with all 775s mobos. So, the new CPU was boxed up and sent back to MWave.com for a refund. Again, how disappointing.

your board has to say support 45nm cpu

your board has to say support 45nm cpu

Not true. A lot of boards were released way before 45nm, and a lot of them have gained 45nm support through updated BIOS's. Most P965, and P35 boards have gained 45nm support through updated BIOS's.

I e-mailed Intel abut the sensor problems
Heres what intel said about senors problems, talk about a load.

First,
My e-mail, by the way I did copy and paste some info from this thread to get things started.

the temp probs in the E8400 are stuffed. The Coolest (the guy who
makes coretemp) reports that according to Intels spec, his program is
reading the temps correctly. In other words, coretemp is reading what
the cpu is telling it. Case and point, my E8400. According to
coretemp, one core is locked at 43c, the other at 51c. They will not
read any lower than this, ever... Once the temp moves above these
values its starts to rise, but other report completely frozen probs
(sometimes just reading 7c!). My motherboard reports 34c on the cpu
all the time, i have never seen it move off this value (this may be
fixed in future bios though). Nevertheless, there seems to be
problems with the sensors being reported on many websites, can you
confirm this and when will the recall take place?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Intels response,

The maximum operating temperature of the Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo
processor E8400 is 61.4 degrees Celsius. As long as the processor is
operating under this temperature it is operating within
specifications. We recommend setting any thermal alarms about three
(3) degrees below the maximum recommended temperature for the
processor. We do not have a normal operating temperature for the
processor as this temperature will vary depending on the chassis and
other hardware installed on the system as well as the actual load the
software is placing on the processor.

You do not need to worry about the temperature of each core, you only
need to pay attention to the CPU temperature itself.

Currently we do not have any report on sensor problems with the
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E8400.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I'll take that with a grain of salt!!!

---------------------------------
****UPDATE*****

That idiot at intel gave the wrong information on the E8400, the true CPU TEMP MAX IS 72.4c and the Tjunction core values remain 105c.

Here's the link to see for yourself
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPL
-------------------------------

PACO

Last edited:
based on other forums,e8400 has a temp bug which will not report right temps.i just exchanged another cpu for testing.both core idle at 42c now,max load core goes up to 60/59.3c higher than the 2nd cpu,but cpu temp at load is 2c lower and idle is 5c higher.chilltec reads same for all 3 cpus,24-25c.idle,and it hardly go up when stress testing.

e8400

While it sucks that people are having temp reading issues with the 8400, they overclock like a beast, I finally hit 4.0+ with very low voltage. To RMA this chip because of temp reading issues to me would be stupid. I am hitting [email protected] 19 hrs orthos stable, [email protected] 8 hrs orthos stable, [email protected] and [email protected] orthos stable for 8 hrs. With my luck Id get a chip with good temp readings that oc'd like poop.
I say burn em up boys. Im going to enjoy it as long as it lasts and not worry about it. No offense to anyone but never heard so many people complain about a chip hitting 4.0 on low voltages before.

While it sucks that people are having temp reading issues with the 8400, they overclock like a beast, I finally hit 4.0+ with very low voltage. To RMA this chip because of temp reading issues to me would be stupid. I am hitting [email protected] 19 hrs orthos stable, [email protected] 8 hrs orthos stable, [email protected] and [email protected] orthos stable for 8 hrs. With my luck Id get a chip with good temp readings that oc'd like poop.
I say burn em up boys. Im going to enjoy it as long as it lasts and not worry about it. No offense to anyone but never heard so many people complain about a chip hitting 4.0 on low voltages before.

Well i need 1.4375v to hit 4ghz and i cant get temps to read properly so i think i have cause to complain

I find it a little hard to believe that there is a systemic problem with the temp sensor on the chip itself. Surely Intel is clued in enough to actually test the temp sensor before they make hundreds of thousands of these things and send them out. It's not like this is an error that impacts a tiny fraction of computations or something, like some of the other errata they've had. Given the recent bad press about the AMD TLB bug and the possible problems with Quads and 4 layer boards I wonder if they would be stupid or arrogant enough to release the chips with such a serious problem.

Hi @ all!

I'm Pirus from italy!

I have a E8400 Batch q744a + Asus P5E bios 502

I have the problem with 2 single core temperature!

@ idle & default setting (vcore 1.20),with coretemp & everest last beta the core 1 is @ 21° & the 2nd core @ 38°!!! :mad:

The two cores on my E8400 also have a huge temp difference when idle. Sometimes its as much as 12-15c. They get closer temp readings when i'm running prime95. I'm not too worried about it...I can turn my Tuniq 120 down to 900rpm while surfing the web and the hottest core won't go above 38c, while the other core won't exceed 32c.

My goal was to have a 4GHz pc 24/7 that's rock solid stable. The 8400 makes it easily possible :beer:

Last edited:
at stock speed my E8400 reads 59/53 idle :(

That doesn't sound right...Are you using the latest version of coretemp? Make the heatsink is seated correctly. Sounds like it might not be making good contact.

Has anyone tested whether thermal throttling is working on these CPUs?
If I had one I’d use RMClock to watch for throttling; use the stock Intel heatsink and disable the fan and run Orthos. Obviously keep a close eye on temps so you can stop Orthos if it looks like the throttling isn’t working. If throttling kicks in with the DTS temps reading about 105C then it suggest that the DTS is doing its job which is controlling thermal throttling. Provided throttling works and the DTS temps are accurate in the higher range, the fact the sensor isn’t giving accurate readings at lower temps at idle seems a very minor inconvenience.
The DTS is there to control throttling which maybe is the only thing that Intel tested it for.

That doesn't sound right...Are you using the latest version of coretemp? Make the heatsink is seated correctly. Sounds like it might not be making good contact.

running core temp 0.96.1

i'm quite sure it is seated correctly... it was a PITA to get it to lock in the place on the mobo but i don't see how it would not be seated correctly. i guess i could take it apart tonight are reseat it but i'm not sure this is the issue.. it COULD be the thermal compound from the retail HSF got messed up as i was fighting to get the heatsink attached to the mobo.

Back