• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GFX card fan on laptop dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

well lately I have heard it make this wiffling (< probably not a word but oh well) sound, for a few seconds and then it stops. Has only done it maybe 5 times total. I flipped my laptop over and saw the the cpu fan was spinning but not the gfx card fan (< i think it was the gfx card fan and not the cpu fan). Is this normal or are both supposed to be spinning? how could i replace this lol? it seems very challenging.

My laptop:
Hp pavillion zv6201cl

Thanks for any help or info

anyone else ever have this problem?

Run Orthos and rthdribl at the same time. If it continues to cycle or make funny noises, then replace it if you can.

If they both run full speed (like they should while running both of these) and sound fine, then its probably the fan.

the gpu fan should spin up when you are doing something gpu instensive, gaming etc. i know mine first starts when i game.

and run something gpu intensive and see if the fan start making that noise again, also do the same with something cpu intensive

and if you decide to replace the fan(s), and there is no header on the mb, just cut the wires and solder them to another fan yourself.

Last edited:
The cpu fan runs. I will try runnning a gpu intensive program when i get home and see what happens.

Back