• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing fans...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

So I am going to purchase a Lian-Li V1200b Plus this week, and want some fans to go with it. Here are my questions:

1. Can 120x38 fans be mounted in the stock front, rear, and side vent locations?

2. I see they now make 140x25mm fans, these just a slimmer profile 120mm fan thus able to be mounted in the same spot as a normal 120mm?

3. Here are the following fans I am looking at...having stock cooling on an 8800GTX, I am guessing these will all be a lot less noisy than that thing.

-120mm x 38mm Scythe DFS123812L-2000
-140mm Yate Loon D14SM-12
-120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12

Thoughts/opinions on these?

4. I would like to use a fan controller (when not gaming, just puttin around the nets, I could turn it down a lot, when gaming of course crank it up), any suggestions? I'd prob. eventually have watercooling and around 6-7 case fans to control, so would want future expandability. I need it to be black, and not super duper flashy, to go w/ the Lian-Li look :).

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully my temps will drop over my crappy old case :p.

1) If it takes a 120mm and has the clearance to take a 38mm fan, then yes.
2) No, they are larger.
3) I'm confused, how is that going to replace the stock cooling on your GTX? You need a heatsink to cool it. :confused:
4) Check out a Sunbeam Rheobus, 20w a channel, very nice. The lights on it are amazingly bright, but other than that it is cheap and can handle huge loads.

1. That's my question, if it has clearance :p. I am guessing it should..
2. Thanks :).
3. I am saying that the case fans will no longer be the loudest thing in my case, my 8800GTX will be, haha. Sorry!
4. Any way to turn off the lights? The front of the computer points directly to my face when I sleep, rather not have bright blue lights shining my face every night lol.

3. I am saying that the case fans will no longer be the loudest thing in my case, my 8800GTX will be, haha. Sorry!
4. Any way to turn off the lights? The front of the computer points directly to my face when I sleep, rather not have bright blue lights shining my face every night lol.
3) Ahh...ok, I just read it wrong ;)
4) Yes, there are mods to dim the lights (as much as you want) via a resistor mod. I'll be trying this later when they annoy me enough. You could also clip the leg to the LED and disable it completely, I wouldn't recommend that though.

Awesome, thanks :). Think I'll go w/ the 38mm thick fans then, should be able to get comparable airflow at a lower dba.

Back