• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts and Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dvtjr13

Registered
Hello OC world. I'm a current college student on a low budget but am in a dire need of a new system. First I'll give you the specs on my current system (soon to be little brother [age 10] system)

Current:
Mobo:MSI K8T Neo-V $51.74
Processor: AMD Sempron 3000+ (OCD- 2.01ghz) $38.90
CPU Cooling: Stock
Video:PNY nVIDIA GeForce 6200 128MB AGP(not OCD) $47.35 the only one that can't unlock the extra pixel pipe lines
Memory: 512 MB PC3200 DDR x2 total 1gb $23.99
Optical Drive:TSSTcorp CD/DVDRW TS-H552B ATA Device $76.99
Case: Antec SLK2650-BQE $69.99
PSU:350W SmartPower2.0 ATX12V v2.0 Included with case
Total Price: $308.96
(Shipping and Tax not include because prices were pulled from different sources and this is only todays price not what i paid)

Now for the news.

I need information on the new system I'm going to build (how well things work together, how good things OC. etc.)and also parts that you great people think should be changed as a better upgrade or that works better with the rest of the system.
!!!WAIT!!!
Theres one catch before you suggest part updates. I have a spending limit of $600 with shipping and handling included to the zip code of: 30165 ($5-$10 over $600 is ok) I plan to order this system tomorrow and have it here by Monday or Wednesday latest
Heres what i got so far:
Mobo: MSI K9NBPM2-FID 89.99
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Dual-Core Black Edition Processor $99.99
CPU Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 $48.99
Video: MSI NX8600GT-T2D512E OC GeForce 8600GT 512MB $118.99
Memory: A-DATA 4GB $87.99
Optical Drive: ASUS Black 20X DVD+R $31.99
PSU: MSI Turbo Stream MS-4500-020 $49.99
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 $44.99
Total: $572.92
Shipping (30165): $31.03
Grand Total: $603.95

I wanted to get a different case the Antec 900 but this case would put me over my limit by $63 and that makes me mad:mad: but like i was saying i would greatly appreciate any information on the build, how well things work, or suggested changes within price range.
Thank you for taking the time to view my post and may God bless you all :)

lol i really don't wanna venture to Intel or ATI as i have been a loyal nVIDIA and AMD user all my life as my father before me was.

Pics of my current system

PICS Of My Current System
Inside the shell

Front cover open

Computer under bed with Maxtor 500GB One Touch 4 Plus on top

The rest sitting on desk in dorm room

Sub hidden in desk drawer for better sounding bass and better space management

lol i really don't wanna venture to Intel or ATI as i have been a loyal nVIDIA and AMD user all my life as my father before me was.

Unfortunately, brand loyalty like that is going to stick you with a pretty weak system and a dead-end upgrade path. Also, you realize ATi is AMD now, right?

At very least, don't bother with a 512MB 8600GT, it won't gain much over a 256mb, and the 256mb versions tend to have some tasty rebates on them now ($109 - $30 rebate).

dollar to dollar you can get a better overall rig with intel.. i do want to leave you with this though,if you have a limit of $600 you might want to see here
www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=545858

though for a new rig i would really pass on the 8600GT,they are not that good. you would be better of then getting a 256mb 8800GT.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130314

please dont get that psu! as for the cpu i wouldnt do the black edition, it doesnt oc higher then the others.

I would also suggest getting an Intel CPU.

Like you, I was a loyal AMD guy for years, but, amd just can't compete with intel right now.

well i guess i can convert to Intel but that video card might be a little out of my range depending on how the rest of the system goes. i guess ill redo my list and get back with y'all on the new setup hopefully i can get a new compiled list by tonight because like i said i want to place my order tomorrow so wish me luck.
also should i try and go with duel core or quad core as far as Intel goes? Well just looked up the prices on Intel and the quad are way out of my price range and the dual core is higher for the same speed duel with AMD. That is really making me think about staying with AMD.

Last edited:
Definitely take a look at the system Evilsizer put together in the thread he posted above, It would be under your budget so you could probably take everything he's recommending and get the 8800GT card instead of the card he originally suggested since you would have a little bit more room budget wise. You would end up with a system right around $600, a pretty good video card and the ability to overclock the system.

for some reason i just cant push myself to get Intel i just cant do it im more willing to go with a ATI card than im willing to go with Intel but ill get my new list up ASAP. also this machine is going to be mainly used for World of Warcraft and converting and burning movies. nothing to major.

ok so then a lower end card would be ok like the one i first listed. just switch to a difference cpu/mothboard for more/better ocing.

im trying my best to talk myself into it but what are the cons of the AMD cause the Intel's just seem to pricey to me but the mobo i can switch

im trying my best to talk myself into it but what are the cons of the AMD cause the Intel's just seem to pricey to me but the mobo i can switch

i tried real hard to fight the urge but i am about to become a double traitor. i've always been an AMD/ATI guy but my next system (hopefully ordering tomorrow) will be intel nvidia. you just can't fight the speed and oc'ing of the new intels.

the only thing thats really stopping me from going Intel is the price between AMD and Intel for the same processor speed

well DV the fastest oced amd dually i have seen is 3.2 or was it 3.3ghz. the fastest quad i have seen is 2.65ghz in AC's thread. the fastest cheap oced intel i have seen is 3.4ghz, the other dual's once you get away from the allendale core. top out at 3.6ghz-3.8ghz, the intel quads top out at 3.6ghz, the new 45nm quads will be in the 4ghz range. the fastest 45nm dual core E8400 right now is 4.2-4.3ghz range, i did see a 4.4ghz screeny but it was superpi 1m stable so i dont cout that. i look at prime95/orthos stable as in like 24/7 rigs. you can see where ocing cpus lies right now. add on that a X2 needs 200mhz more to match a Core 2 based cpu. basicly if intel cpu was 2ghz you need a amd at 2.2ghz.

if your ocing your cpu igonre the stock cpu speed. intel's E1200 with 512kb L2 does 3.2ghz no sweat with the highest stable i have seen being 3.4ghz. the E1200 is the newest dual core from intel and stock speed is 1.6ghz at $59.99 for that kind of speed after ocing. thats one heck of a deal! my celeron-l 420 single core at 1.6ghz ocs no problem to 3.2ghz with minmal voltage increase.

im not really going to mess with the voltage i dont feel right about that yet but when i looked at newegg for the intel duel cores they were quite pricey. but like i said this system is only going to be used for burning and converting movies as well as playing world of warcraft. so with my 1st post of equipment i should be able to run world of warcfart at full spec with a change of PSU to a earth watt and a change of computer cases

well its your choice but i coverd alot in my other post, i feel you didnt read. if you want a match up to your X2 in your list you wont find one. since no low cost cpu from intel has unlocked multis. Given the L2 of that X2 for the end result for a oc with no voltage increase the E2160 or E2180 is the cpu for you. E2xxx pretty much do 3ghz on stock cooling with intel stock voltage requirements. Both are cheaper then that X2, E2160 = $78.99,E2180 $84.99. the other dual cores you were looking at i bet had 2x-4x times the L2 that X2 has, thats what your paying for.

the only thing thats really stopping me from going Intel is the price between AMD and Intel for the same processor speed

i'm not 100% on this but i believe Intel beats AMD clock for clock so a slightly slower intel will probably beat the slightly faster (by clock speed) AMD

lol thanks for all the info i will carefully review all the info and make my decision. i hope what ever i may choose will still turn out well and i will post updates when i have ordered and system has arrived.

God bless all OCers and there PCs.

i'm not 100% on this but i believe Intel beats AMD clock for clock so a slightly slower intel will probably beat the slightly faster (by clock speed) AMD

Not "slightly", the E8200 at 2.66 totally humiliates AMD X2 6400+ at 3.2GHz, the difference is incredible with the E8x00s even before one counts in the much higher overclockability of these beauties. In addition the powerconsumption is much lower on the Intel.

OP: Read this and see how far behind AMD has fallen, and also notice that the E2180 beats 5000+ BE in many benchmarks. And, the BE doesnt overclock worth crap in comparision.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/dualcore-shootout_7.html
Pages 3 to 7 has benchmarks, power page 8

As for the top Athlon 64 X2 processors, they turned out seriously overpriced after the launch of the new Core 2 Duo E8200. Today they can only compete against Core 2 Duo E4000 and Pentium E2000.

and for the performance per clock:
for AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor to perform as fast as a Core 2 Duo E4000 or Pentium E2000, it should run at about 20% higher clock speed.

Back