• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Laptop AC Adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
Dell doesn't support 3rd party adapters, they allow them to power the laptop but not to charge the battery, however, my dad built me an adapter (electrical engineer) the exact specs 19.5 volts 7.7 amps for an inspiron 9100. Is there a way to mimic the whatever the dell adapters do to have the laptop recognize it as a valid adapter.

Thanks!

yeah, buy anything except a Dell. :p

I really don't have an answer for you, but i do know my friend has gone through 4 chargers for his Dell. All Dell branded. Each one lasted a couple of months before they poped and stopped working. Dell chargers suck.

I would have thought running at the same voltage/ampage would be enough to convince the computer it has a dell charger.

apparently there is some sort of signaling on the center pin, my dad said if I could find out what it was he would do it for me... so if anyone know that would be awesome.

Hey dude, would your dad be willing to share his insight with us? Also, I'm gonna kick your *** if you don't get your dad to join ocforums. ;) :D :beer:

I'll give it a whirl and ask him but in regards to the ac adapter I've searched for this information and have been yet to find it, can anyone help me out?

I can offer some superficial help. There is a company called iGo which I have a love hate relationship with, but generally their devices saves me from carrying 12 different power bricks when I travel (I am a gadget freak). It was because of iGo where I discovered this ridiculous policy of Dell almost 10 years ago. BTW, I wrote Dell a scathing email and never bought a Dell again ;).

Anyway, my cousin got a Dell and I was looking into getting her an iGo for Christmas. Apparently, iGo has found a way to overcome this problem. I got her an iGo with a Dell tip and it both powers and charges ger lappy (and of course mobile, DS, and iPod). So, for US$10 you can get a Dell iGo tip (cheaper if you can find it at buy.com or amazon) or you can pick one up from a radio shack near you. Then have your dad reverse it and find out the trick. If he does, please post back here, I'd be curious to find otu what the heck Dell did. :)

I have a beast of a laptop (inspiron 9100 pent 4 3ghz) that requires 150Watt 19.5 Volt 7.7 amp ac adapter, I doubt iGo has anything that powerful, but that is some great news! However, I think the signaling is different depending on the adapter used because if I was to use a 90 watt dell adapter on my computer it still knows it isn't the right adapter.

I have a beast of a laptop (inspiron 9100 pent 4 3ghz) that requires 150Watt 19.5 Volt 7.7 amp ac adapter, I doubt iGo has anything that powerful, but that is some great news! However, I think the signaling is different depending on the adapter used because if I was to use a 90 watt dell adapter on my computer it still knows it isn't the right adapter.

did your dad have a chance to look at the signal output of the psu with an oscilloscope? that would tell you whether or not there was some sort of signal. it could either be a constant frequency signal or logic signal. The latter would require a digital analyzer. An oscilloscope should still tell you if there is anything funny going on though. The psu might need to be put under load, but any 2k or higher 25W resistor should be more than capable to run your test.

Well thats the problem, I left my ac adapter at school so he just built me one at work in his free time with the specifications I found online. But his is much nicer with thermal and amperage overload protection and is more efficient putting off way less heat. So if anyone comes across this information please let me know!

I am not suggesting you pick up an iGo :). Well, I would suggest it if you have multiple protable devices, but I should say that there is no porblem in power your lappy with an iGo. I only use very portable devices (no laptop over 3lbs in over a decade), but there is no problem in powering your laptop with an iGo. They have a range of base bricks, just get one that is rated for your laptop.

What I wanted to claify is that you don't need the base brick to get the tip. I was suggesting you just pick up the tip because, whatever iGo found to bypass the Dell problem, its in that tip and your dad sounds like exactly the kind of guy would could figure out what it is pretty quick :).

My Laptop decided it no longer wanted to recognize the AC adapter as an authentic Dell adapter about two months ago. Dell charges $65 to replace these POS.

Dang, this is awesome, I would love to have another power adapter. I will take my adapter to my lab class tomorrow and maybe if I get out a little early I can give it a run with the scope. However, looking at it closely now it is going to be a pita to get anything on that middle conductor. If anyone has any great ideas on how to get a probe on it let me know.

My wife's dell ac adapter got messed up a week ago so I bought an imitation from eBay. It actually charges but causes the mouse cursor to pretty much lock up. It will move ever so slightly when you drag your finger across the whole pad. Really weird. I am trying to contact the seller to see if I could get a replacement, but I get no response. Looks like I will have to do a chargeback.

Well, I gave it a try today, but I couldn't really get good contact on that center conductor. I also really didn't want to short it so that may have been part of my problem. I will try and rig up something though so I can get a good reading off of it. I have a few ideas, I just need to get some free time so I can try them out.

Jut so no one gets confused here Dell laptops will take an adapter from any brand but only Dell branded adapters will charge the battery.

All tech details about 3rd pin here:
HTML:
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/dell/dell-pa-10-ac-adapter-center-pin-108608.html
a bit late, but hope it works...

Back