• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

finding and e-mail stalker.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If he was dumb enough to use a university computer, he is screwed. All of the computers on campus use a windows login as well as a secondary login to use the internet. Everyone has there own individual logins. Also there are cameras in most of the computer lounges.

^^ if that is the case then great if they all have individual logins :) but how many of those computers are on internal IP's and how far back do they log the IP's for each station for... so now you have to trace the public IP back to the internal IP somehow and then confirm who was on it at that time..

how do you confirm that X IP was used to login with [email protected] email address.... i am sure plenty of people logged inot yahoo mail that day and i see no way they could say that person [email protected] used this specific computer

If he was dumb enough to use a university computer, he is screwed. All of the computers on campus use a windows login as well as a secondary login to use the internet. Everyone has there own individual logins. Also there are cameras in most of the computer lounges.

there are way's around it (aka using someone else's login if he had it) or what have you. but regardless, doing it on campus is and could be the most dumbest thing (or smartest?) he could have done. just because he has security watch, and a certian login time and compare the email log timestamp vs his login / timeout time sessions and he's screwed ;)

^^^ and what if there is anyone else? again can they track yahoo the external IP that was used which i am sure hundred of people go through, back to the internal IP that access yahoo.com at that specific time?

i am sure it could be logged if set up for that if they are monitoring all sites visited.

so they would need

1. login info (if that exists in that network for personal individuals) - time that they logged in to match that of yahoo servers for the sending / composing of the email
2. what computer - internal IP
3. Video proof the person was there at that computer at that time
4. proof he logged into yahoo mail, under the guilty senders account

4 variables that even if one is missing, they have nothing.

According to the university's network usage TOS, anything that happens on a computer while your user name is in use is directly your fault. I'm not sure how much authority they have to enforce this, but thats what it says.

They keep detailed records of everyones login time, and at what computer they logged in. They also keep records of all the content that was sent to that machine while the user was logged in. I don't know if that will be enough to find a specific person.

According to the university's network usage TOS, anything that happens on a computer while your user name is in use is directly your fault. I'm not sure how much authority they have to enforce this, but thats what it says.

They keep detailed records of everyones login time, and at what computer they logged in. They also keep records of all the content that was sent to that machine while the user was logged in. I don't know if that will be enough to find a specific person.

Sephis,

Their setup is about the default type today, whether college or high school. High schools do much the same, at least here they do. If there is any criminal activity, such as a messaged type personal or public threat, they'll know about it and its source.

Normally, if a source can be pinned down in that way and the person whose account it was is confronted, whether they gave out their password or not, they get "diarrhea mouth."

As I said before, once you make a complaint to the proper authorities, the school is responsible and obligated to act on it if it's deemed criminal or harrassing.

Just curious, you seem to be taking a large interest in your roommates girlfriend.

"breaking their legs" and "armed assault" even if in jest, suggest she is actually your girlfriend in reality ;).

Hope everything works out alright.

Just curious, you seem to be taking a large interest in your roommates girlfriend.

"breaking their legs" and "armed assault" even if in jest, suggest she is actually your girlfriend in reality ;).

maybe she's like a sister to him who knows :shrug:

maybe she's like a sister to him who knows :shrug:

Yea I guess. I would just expect the boyfriend to be the one doing all the legwork, not the roommate.

If it were my gf and it was my roommate that took such a vested interested, I'm not sure how'd I'd feel about that TBH.

maybe her b/f doesnt have an ocf account :) or isnt technicaly inclinded to know what to do :)

my best friend is female and i would do the same as the OP mentioned if someone tried that crap, it is possible to be friends with girls and not just b/f-g/f. :)

setup a temp domain but make it sound legit like "www.ipostmypicsyoupostyours.com" or whatever... setup one specific page that will record IP info... shoot you could probably do it with a generic website stat tracker. Once you have that, work with the cops and whoever the ISP is.

bait him. and if the page happened to be loaded with spyware galore so be it...

I've had to trace ppl before, setup a server on youur pc, host a pic, go with it for a sec so they will click the pic, check the server log, there is their IP.

Legality versus reality...

You can probably narrow it down to a specific set of user credentials, but that doesn't mean you can narrow it down to a specific person unless there's additional surveillance in place.

At the time, those words were not spoken in jest. She is not my girlfriend, but she is a friend. I believe in standing up for those that can't protect themselves. Nothing on God's green earth ****es me off more than a bully.

BTW, her boyfriend is the one that asked me if I could find anything. I would never have posted any of this without permission from both of them.

IN response to Captain Newbie, that is what I'm afraid of. Even if a "user" is found, what keeps him/her from claiming that their account was stolen? All of this is getting a lot stickier than I originally thought.

i know people are saying dont do it,. but i say follow through on it with the polices help and supervision, have her set up a meet with X person IF she is willing to do it, who knows, this person could be harrassing alot of women.

They already know all there is to know about her, meeting in person in a public place seems to the the ONLY sure fire way to nail this sucker, give her a small can of mace to take with her as well just in case, or a zapper, they meet, she then says "excuse me just have to use the washroom" cops come in bam , done deal.

i know people are saying dont do it,. but i say follow through on it with the polices help and supervision, have her set up a meet with X person IF she is willing to do it, who knows, this person could be harrassing alot of women.

They already know all there is to know about her, meeting in person in a public place seems to the the ONLY sure fire way to nail this sucker, give her a small can of mace to take with her as well just in case, or a zapper, they meet, she then says "excuse me just have to use the washroom" cops come in bam , done deal.

I wont say whether I agree or disagree. At this point, its all out of my hands. She is doing what the police told her to do, and I have done what I have been asked to do. From here on out, I am just moral support and a walking buddy.

Back