• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a Nokia n800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I have ordered a Nokia n800 and will receive it soon. I am wondering if anybody else in the forums has this device and what suggestions you would have in getting the device up and running quickly. Additionally, if you have any other Nokia internet tablets, I would like to hear that too.

I am rather impressed and happy with my purchase.

Here is a more detailed review. I purchased the device wanting a high resolution web browsing companion for my Pocket PC. Being that the Nokia device is Linux and has a somewhat more standard browser, I figured that this device should hold up well in the future.

So, in research I learn that my particular device had an older OS (2007), a current OS (2008), and an OS yet to come (2009). So, in the upgrade department, this is a current device. It shipped with the 2007 OS and was easy enough to flash to the newer OS. My review is of the 2008 OS mostly with hardware being the platform for the OS.

The device itself has two memory cards (an internal and an external one) for storage area and an internal storage space as well for even more files (256 Mb with 152 Mb taken). The storage card that comes with the device for internal usage is a mini-SD that is 128 Mb and has an adapter to make it into an SD so it can be used.

So far, most reviews have said what I have said. One thing that wasn't mentioned well was how the device works with VOIP. The device can use Gizmo, Skype, and another VOIP providers (SIP). In order to work with them, I thought I needed a bluetooth headset which is supported. However, the device can take 3.5 mm headsets and in fact it comes with one (with earbuds and a microphone dongle inline). Furthermore, the device has a built-in microphone at the very top edge that works very well allowing the device to function as a speaker phone. The camera however isn't all that great, pretty much it is just a webcam, nothing more.

The device does rather well as a web browser. The pages render properly and allow me to function like I was at a normal computer. However, the web pages don't render as well zooming up and down since the browser (in 2008) is based off of Firefox. Overall though, the browsing is acceptable.

The device is "fast enough" for whatever you want to do, yet it does have trouble at times. YouTube doesn't work so well and multitasking when doing something like a Skype call is troublesome. However, as long as you don't do majorly processor intensive things, you should be fine.

The screen is something great to see. While I am not sure how it would compare to an iPhone, I didn't want an iPhone and this looks wonderful enough for me. In fact, the device does a lot of iPhone things along with having an FM radio onboard, brining in Internet Radio stations, and playing random music files. The Sterio speakers sound just fine.

Being a Linux device, it has a terminal (but only with the busybox shell). In general, it is recommended NOT to have root access to the device. Also, the device does NOT ship with SSH. However, that will be addressed in the next paragraph.

The device has an "application manager" which allows you to install or uninstall programs (like apt-get). However, certain program stubs (like real player) cannot be uninstalled unless the full programs are installed (DOH). You can install programs here like SSH. Do note that the SSH server will set up the root account with a password so that you can log in with it through SSH. Seems like a secruity hole to me though... Hmmm...

You can also go to www.maemo.org to install applications. You can click on install links there to install programs instantly and add repositories to make them work. Since most applications are made by random developers, they work in random ways. Joy of Linux on your device I suppose.

Drawbacks? Well, the built in Maps application was annoying and I uninstalled it. There is an open source application that can replace it, but I haven't tried it yet. Second, the device taks a TON of power to start up, so much that it is actually a better idea to keep the device on 24/7. Next, for an internet device, I am surprised how it doesn't support things such as 802.1x support. It cannot connected to some corporate networks or school networks due to that. (Thankfully my school has a backup network I could connect to. Also, interestingly enough, the iPhone doesn't support 802.1x either) Finally, the slip case that comes with the device offers as much protection as putting your device in a sock.

The device comes with 2 stiluses, the 128 mb mini sd card, the slip cover, a headset earbuds thingy, a USB sync cable (mounts all memory cards as seperate USB jump drives, allows flashing the device), and a charger.

I was surprised by how the device seemed slightly smaller (and cuter) in person. I also liked how the device worked in general with the key applications that I wanted (Skype, internet). So, it does what I need it to do. It also is a neat toy.

I also got an iGo bluetooth keyboard for the device since it was on clearance (yes, the discontinued keyboard as of today...). The device can take bluetooth keyboards that use the standard profile and this one does that. So, it was a cheap external keyboard for my device. In fact, I typed this post on the device. :)

I'm certain I am missing something though, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Back