• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CrossFireX (3870x2, times two) - Prelim Benches!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albuquerque

I recall a rather heated thread not too long ago where a few blokes had some thick-headedness regarding video gaming performance scaling beyond two GPU's.

Seems one of those two might have been right:
http://www.fpslabs.com/reviews/video/a-brief-look-at-crossfirex-scaling

Here's some snippets:
shoes_xfirex1_coj.jpg

shoes_xfirex1_fear.jpg

These obviously aren't conclusive, but I think it's looking pretty damned good. :drool:

Awww, come on! This is overclockers forums, not granny panties forums! Overkill is the entire reason most of us are here! ;) :beer:

Of course, I'm not entirely convinced they're worth the $900 combined pricetag either, but hey -- that's some pretty gnarly performance. I figure when the 9800GX2 comes out and spanks a single 3870X2, ATI will ratchet the price down a little for proper competitive sake. That'll be a great time to snap up a pair of the X2's :D

Why would the 3dmark scaling matter? It doesn't! All about the gaming performance and it looks good.

Why would the 3dmark scaling matter? It doesn't! All about the gaming performance and it looks good.

They did 3dmark06 at 1280x1024 and the other games at much higher resolutions. 2 gigs of video memory = complete waste on a lower resolution.

dual monitor 1680x1050 supreme commander here i come!...when i get my card that is...i play it now with 8800gts but when battles get anymore than a 100 units it gets laggy :p

Benching matters to me, I dont really game.

<-------Benching team member

when you look at the benches remember each card has 2 GPU. Benches look weak when you break it down per GPU. 15% increase in 3dmark with 2 more gpu, that 7.5% per GPU

Also the others when you break it down per GPU looks fairly weak for having 4 GPU and 2GB of ram.

In fear its best bench only adds 40% performance per GPU

Last edited:
So the fact that the SM2/3 score actually went down with CFX enabled wasn't some sort of indicator that there may still be some driver "earliness" going on here? Or did you take the time to notice that little tidbit?

I'd rather ATI spend their time tuning games rather than synthetic benchmarks. Glad I'm not the only one...

Also the others when you break it down per GPU looks fairly weak for having 4 GPU and 2GB of ram.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at... 1Gb of ram and two GPU's did (x), 2Gb of ram and four GPU's did (x) + ~75%. Does dual core CPU's always net you a 100% increase in every app and benchmark? Do quad-core CPU's always net you a 100% over dual core? Does increasing ram from 1GB to 4GB do anything like the same either?

I think you're being a bit unfair in your assessment.

Again, I dont care how it does in games, I dont use them for that. I know these are early drivers but honestly 23k on a quad at 4.2ghz and having 4GPU's and 2GB of on card memory is weak.

Altho I want to see if they can actually run crysis at high and a higher resolution

... and 2GB of on card memory is weak.
When was the last time extra video memory helped a 3DMark06 score? Maybe when you went from 128 -> 256, and maybe a tiny bit more from 256 -> 320, but that's all I can recall. So I don't understand this part of your argument at all.

I think he means from a benchmarking PoV, 2 of those cards is a waste if you're looking for high scores, thats all. Not to mention disapointing, from a purely benchmarking PoV.

What scaling?
shoes_xfirex1_3dmark.jpg
uhh... you do realize that's the final score, the actual 3D scores would show much higher scaling.
With muti-GPU, the higher the resolution/AA, the better the scaling.

But damn, I never though 4 GPUs would scale that well...

uhh... you do realize that's the final score, the actual 3D scores would show much higher scaling.
With muti-GPU, the higher the resolution/AA, the better the scaling.

But damn, I never though 4 GPUs would scale that well...

would have been better if that did 3dmark at 1600x1200 min with 4gpus...
that res for 4 gpus is like testing at 1024x768, your just not gonaa see the scaling til you use higher res's.

I'd love to know how ATi is getting such good scaling wit these, mabe it's a mix of dynamic scissor and AFR, the two GPUs in the card share the workload, and each card works together to double up the framerate.

I recall a rather heated thread not too long ago where a few blokes had some thick-headedness regarding video gaming performance scaling beyond two GPU's.

ALLRIGHT~! CUT THE CRAP SLINGING AND NAME CALLING RIGHT NOW!

Next flame bait peep out of you and you get a a 3 day vacation.

There are 2 other threads here where you have flame baited members.

krag, OCF Moderator

I am liking those numbers. If Amd decides to drop the price anymore, I am going to really enjoy the pricewar, if any.

--pak

Back