• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia to acquire Ageia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With quad core CPUs being common nowadays, isn't it possible to dedicate one core to handling physics?

we would think so, but no. gpus are much more efficient.

so... my guy turns out to actually be a lady haha..

she says to look forward to possibly one m,ore rounf of these physx cards, in PCI-E form. faster, more ram.

Alright you have

AMD and ATI = CPU / GPU
Nvida and Ageia = GPU / PPU
Intel and Havok = CPU / PPU

Its all messed up, either way us the customers is going to get screwed on something in this whole deal if X Game requires X Card to play a game just because you don't own there CPU, Chipset or GPU.

Alright you have

AMD and ATI = CPU / GPU
Nvida and Ageia = GPU / PPU
Intel and Havok = CPU / PPU

Its all messed up, either way us the customers is going to get screwed on something in this whole deal if X Game requires X Card to play a game just because you don't own there CPU, Chipset or GPU.

keep in mine the physx api is not only used in PC's, its used widely in the xbox360 and ps3.

keep in mine the physx api is not only used in PC's, its used widely in the xbox360 and ps3.

While yes that is true, but having seperate chips in a Console doesn't hurt it due to the fact that it has one or it doesn't. PC it can have one, hence why it can hurt the PC market if say nVidia releases it on tehre GPU's and surely anyone wanting to play games with physics (and there is alot of games sponsered by nVidia) it could be a huge issue if they are using the Ageia engine.

i couldnt care less i dont have an amd product in my system.

Yeah and they go out and we'll have the issue of slower progression in CPU performance, higher prices, and Intel just not wanting to release new CPU's hence why some of the current CPU's by Intel is actually being delayed to release.

Yeah thats really a good thing. Same with nVidia and ATI.. ATI doesn't have anything competitive so nVidia is holding back releases. Theres a chain reaction that would happen if AMD/ATI goes out. We need them to do good so we get more choices at better prices.

Yeah and they go out and we'll have the issue of slower progression in CPU performance, higher prices, and Intel just not wanting to release new CPU's hence why some of the current CPU's by Intel is actually being delayed to release.

Yeah thats really a good thing. Same with nVidia and ATI.. ATI doesn't have anything competitive so nVidia is holding back releases. Theres a chain reaction that would happen if AMD/ATI goes out. We need them to do good so we get more choices at better prices.

I'm not sure that long slow product cycles wouldn't make a healthy change; though I agree that $60 CPUs are pretty nice, 6-9 month refreshes for GFX cards are crazy.

Back