• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueDepths

Registered
I am looking to get a fairly cheap laptop with good quality and long lifetime.
Speed is not too much of an issue.

What brands should I go for, and which ones should I look out for, when it comes to quality computers?

For Quality, Lenovo notebooks are hard as rock, but you have to pay a little more for it.

What type of "quality" are you looking for?

Cheap and Quality don't really go hand in hand if your looking for a tough casing, spill proof...then it won't be cheap.

Unless you are really clumsy and know this will be dropped everywhere, then just get a Dell Inspiron/Vostro as they are great performers for the price.

For Quality, Lenovo notebooks are hard as rock, but you have to pay a little more for it.

What type of "quality" are you looking for?

Cheap and Quality don't really go hand in hand if your looking for a tough casing, spill proof...then it won't be cheap.

Unless you are really clumsy and know this will be dropped everywhere, then just get a Dell Inspiron/Vostro as they are great performers for the price.

With quality I mean both durable physically and also good hardware that won't give up on you. Because I don't want to have to send this computer to repair every once in a while.

I probably won't drop the computer, and I only want it to last for 2 years, because my plans are getting a new cheaper laptop every 2-3 years. Thus keeping in pace with technology without sacrificing big money. But I want the computer to work flawlessly during these two years without any hardware failures and downtime.

With cheap, I mean cheapest possible without sacrificing quality.
Quality first, then price, then performance.

Dell has a fairly promising laptop which I am considering. Inspiron 1525, any comments? Can I expect it to last 2 years without failure?

Last edited:
With quality I mean both durable physically and also good hardware that won't give up on you. Because I don't want to have to send this computer to repair every once in a while.

I probably won't drop the computer, and I only want it to last for 2 years, because my plans are getting a new cheaper laptop every 2-3 years. Thus keeping in pace with technology without sacrificing big money. But I want the computer to work flawlessly during these two years without any hardware failures and downtime.

With cheap, I mean cheapest possible without sacrificing quality.
Quality first, then price, then performance.

Dell has a fairly promising laptop which I am considering. Inspiron 1525, any comments? Can I expect it to last 2 years without failure?

The only problems I have ever had with hardware is with the fans.

I do not personally recommend Toshiba as there customer support and repair service is HORRIBLE. It took them 6 times (yes 6) to correct my fan problem. THey kept replacing the wrong fan even though I specified every single time that it is NOT THE CPU FAN IT IS THE AUX REAR LEFT FAN. In the end I had to attach a picture from a digital camera and post-it the fan. It was ridiculous.

The only problems I have ever had with hardware is with the fans.

I do not personally recommend Toshiba as there customer support and repair service is HORRIBLE. It took them 6 times (yes 6) to correct my fan problem. THey kept replacing the wrong fan even though I specified every single time that it is NOT THE CPU FAN IT IS THE AUX REAR LEFT FAN. In the end I had to attach a picture from a digital camera and post-it the fan. It was ridiculous.

Wow, talk about incompetent people. :-O
Toshiba never crossed my mind anyway though.

I have decided to go for a Dell Inspiron 1252. They seem to be quite stable and are also cheap.
I only pay for 1 year warranty, since I was figuring that I will only use the computer 2-3 years, and if something would stop working it would probably not be more expensive to order a spare part than go for the full warranty. And that is IF something would go haywire within 2 years after the warranty is void.

How many fan problems have you had, and with what brands?

Wow, talk about incompetent people. :-O
Toshiba never crossed my mind anyway though.

I have decided to go for a Dell Inspiron 1252. They seem to be quite stable and are also cheap.
I only pay for 1 year warranty, since I was figuring that I will only use the computer 2-3 years, and if something would stop working it would probably not be more expensive to order a spare part than go for the full warranty. And that is IF something would go haywire within 2 years after the warranty is void.

How many fan problems have you had, and with what brands?

Just the Toshiba. Hardware-wise, in this day and age, its unlikely something is going to go bust. I am yet to have any hardware I have ever bought go bad.

Fans, HDD's and CD drives are the main culprits 95% of the time. Motherboards, CPU's, GPU's etc... almost never go bad.

You should have a great laptop coming. I have had great experience with dell!

I have reasessed the situation. I think that if I'm going to get a laptop, I can as well replace my desktop system with it. Therefore I need performance that allows me to play Battlefield 2, Portal and WoW.

The problem I have is that all computers that have these kinds of specs, have a glossy reflective screen. I don't want my screen to be a mirror, so that's entirely unacceptable.

Any good brands and models that you can recommend in this case?

I have heard that the european brand Zepto has good performance to a cheap price, but how is the quality of their computers?

Thanks in advance

I have reasessed the situation. I think that if I'm going to get a laptop, I can as well replace my desktop system with it. Therefore I need performance that allows me to play Battlefield 2, Portal and WoW.

The problem I have is that all computers that have these kinds of specs, have a glossy reflective screen. I don't want my screen to be a mirror, so that's entirely unacceptable.

Any good brands and models that you can recommend in this case?

I have heard that the european brand Zepto has good performance to a cheap price, but how is the quality of their computers?

Thanks in advance

I used to have a Dell XPS, my brother has a Tosh Satillite and I've seen others with the glossy screens and really thus far the only one I've seen with a glossy screens that caused any real reflective issues at least for myself are some HP models. All the others I didn't really notice any probs & actually prefer them as the screens are more protected then earlier models without it.

I just ordered a iBuypower laptop off newegg and I'm assuming it will have one of these as well so I will see how this one is as well.

Just random video I found on the internet:
You don't think this is any real reflective issues? If you like sitting in a dark room I am sure that glossy screens are great, but I need to use this in lighter environments.

Back