• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Largest NON-Widescreen LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Precision

3Dmark Team Member
I'm looking for a 22-24" NON-widescreen :mad: LCD. I'm not a big fan of widescreen monitors. I have a 19" LCD now and would like to get one a little bit bigger. The problem I am coming across is obviously everything I come in contact with is widescreen. Any links/suggestions? I mostly game. CS:S/Crysis. So I don't want something with a really high ms. Thanks in advance :D

Dude, why don't you like widescreen? Its a benefit to your peripheral vision! That aside, I've never seen a 4:3 aspect ratio screen above 19". Not that they don't exist, but I've never even heard of them. You could just buy a 30" and run it in 4:3 with black pillars on the sides. :)

I'm using a 23" viewsonic right now and I really wish it was widescreen. Not that its a big deal, but I have to tilt my head just to see the top corners of the screen. I used my brother's 20" widescreen the other day and it felt so much better than my monitor. After using his I feel that a 22" widescreen would be perfect.

I wish my school would let me take my screen to school and use it on their systems as i can barely stand to use a 4:3 screen... I have even stopped watching a lot of tv since my tv is not wide screen

But to each his own

Im actually with you on this one: I love non-widescreens also. Now, I may just not know how to set one up properly (and I will read more on this).

But widescreens always squash family photos, making people look fat even at native video card and monitor resolutions.

Anyway, one of the best 20.1 " no widescreens remains the Samsung 204B. I love these for dual screen, games and work. Would love to see the 24" version:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001226

The problem with large-scale 4:3 aspect LCD's is theres not too much demand for them anymore, therefore the price is higher since they dont make as many. If you dont care how much you spend, then go 4:3, but if $1,000 bucks sounds steep for a monitor, then go with widescreen and just crop the sides to 4:3.

Just my thoughts...

Ya, mon. Have you tried it for a couple hours? Give it a shot if you haven't. Theres a reason every man'f is making WS.

Yea, it's because they can cut more final panels from the same sheet. I'm not saying I don't like widescreen, but the really real reason is profit, widescreen content aside.

Yea, it's because they can cut more final panels from the same sheet. I'm not saying I don't like widescreen, but the really real reason is profit, widescreen content aside.

Yup thats why. Helps that everyone (except the OP) fell in love with 16:9 or 16:10 AR, but that was after the fact.

CRT is going to be your least expensive option with 22"+ 4:3 monitors.

Im actually with you on this one: I love non-widescreens also. Now, I may just not know how to set one up properly (and I will read more on this).

But widescreens always squash family photos, making people look fat even at native video card and monitor resolutions.

Anyway, one of the best 20.1 " no widescreens remains the Samsung 204B. I love these for dual screen, games and work. Would love to see the 24" version:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001226

uhh definetly not true... only reason they would "squash" photos is if you had what ever viewing program set to strech the photo across the screen otherwise theres no reason that a WS would display a photo differently that a non widescreen...

That aside... like everyone has said just grab a CRT... its gonna be WAY WAY cheaper than a 4:3 lcd. I love my Sonytrinitron 21inch crt i got of craigslist for 40 bucks. Sad thing is the fact that my crt probably chews through more power than my whole computer. Is it bad when the lights dim for a sec when i turn my monitor on?? :p

The king daddy crt is the Sony Widescreen 24inch crt... god what i would give to have one of thoes.... widescreen and crt... my dream come true!!!

Last edited:
uhh definetly not true... only reason they would "squash" photos is if you had what ever viewing program set to strech the photo across the screen otherwise theres no reason that a WS would display a photo differently that a non widescreen...

That aside... like everyone has said just grab a CRT... its gonna be WAY WAY cheaper than a 4:3 lcd. I love my Sonytrinitron 21inch crt i got of craigslist for 40 bucks. Sad thing is the fact that my crt probably chews through more power than my whole computer. Is it bad when the lights dim for a sec when i turn my monitor on?? :p

The king daddy crt is the Sony Widescreen 24inch crt... god what i would give to have one of thoes.... widescreen and crt... my dream come true!!!

Im kinda space limited, CRT a little massive. Im getting better at this and see now why the squashed effect has happened to me. Im actually having trouble getting Vista to set pictures at 4:3. It keeps stretching everythign, even though I have set the Display Properties to NOT streath my BK picture. Everything I open in Vista force stretches everything.

You can get them for 250 shipping on ebay. Freqently they are cheaper on craigs but they dont pop up that often

After having this crt no other monitor quite compairs except for input wise.

Im kinda space limited, CRT a little massive. Im getting better at this and see now why the squashed effect has happened to me. Im actually having trouble getting Vista to set pictures at 4:3. It keeps stretching everythign, even though I have set the Display Properties to NOT streath my BK picture. Everything I open in Vista force stretches everything.

if you are space limited then the fw900 certianly is not for you the thing weighs 93 pounds :eek:

You can get them for 250 shipping on ebay. Freqently they are cheaper on craigs but they dont pop up that often

After having this crt no other monitor quite compairs except for input wise.

U HAVE ONE!!! GAH lucky *******.... i have so much desk space i could run 3 of my 21inch trinitron's easily... 250 is definetly to much for me tho.

Back