• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5Mb/s STR!!!! HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam__

I think this tells the story really:

HDTune_Benchmark_MAXTOR_STM3250820A.png

Iv tried changing the data cable, power cable and socket to no avail.
Im running the latest chipset drivers.
Iv done a few windows on boot check disks and they take absolutely ages. like one took 5 hours to get to 86% which is when i lost patience and restarted to post this.
EDIT: - BTW this hdds running in my "secondary" rig...specs are in me sig.
Please help.

Last edited:
Wow. What machine are you running that on? Speeds look like you are running via USB 1.1.

CPU utilization looks pretty bad too. Can you give a bit more detail regarding your setup?

**Woops, just read the second part of your post. How many hard drives do you have running on that machine? Can you try moving that drive to your gaming rig and see what you get?

Last edited:
Wow. What machine are you running that on? Speeds look like you are running via USB 1.1.

CPU utilization looks pretty bad too. Can you give a bit more detail regarding your setup?

edited in that its running in my secondary rig of which specs are in me sig.

its running on SATA and i was doing nothing while benching it so all that cpu is the HDDs doing.

Sounds to me like the drive is in PIO mode. Check the Primary IDE controller in the Device manager. It will most likely say it is running in PIO mode. If so, uninstall it and restart the computer. Also, check for Disk errors in the Event Viewer.

Sounds to me like the drive is in PIO mode. Check the Primary IDE controller in the Device manager. It will most likely say it is running in PIO mode. If so, uninstall it and restart the computer. Also, check for Disk errors in the Event Viewer.

all are set to DMA if available but one says its running in PIO....how do i make it run in DMA? could i just disable PIO on it in the BIOS?

Ill try uninstalling driver.

Problem solved in under half an hour - I love this forum, its saved me so many times...thanks a lot guys. :beer: :beer:
HDTune_Benchmark_MAXTOR_STM32508-1.png
just uninstalled the drivers let it sort itself out n restarted a few times n its done :D

Yeah, just uninstall, then reboot, and it should switch to DMA. If it doesnt, try to disable PIO in the bios. If that still fails, the drive could be going bad. Usually they will only revert to PIO if it is getting read/write errors. Does your event log show any disk errors?

Yeah, just uninstall, then reboot, and it should switch to DMA. If it doesnt, try to disable PIO in the bios. If that still fails, the drive could be going bad. Usually they will only revert to PIO if it is getting read/write errors. Does your event log show any disk errors?

there are quite a few disk errors in the event log. I think they came while it was running in PIO mode....

Reformat (low level), and reinstall windows

dammit....luckily windows isnt on this drive....but now i need to find sumwhere to backup all the 200Gbs worth of stuff on it lol...that should be fun.

Back