• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop won't find wireless network anymore!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

Hey guys, this little laptop has me puzzled.

I've got a wireless network running, linksys n-type router with 5+ pcs connected through G. Untill recently my laptop was part of the network, too, and worked fine, but after i formatted it and reinstalled XP, it won't find the wireless network. I've tried the standard windows wizard and the manufacturers' (intel) software, but neither will detect the network at any range from the router. Other networks in the area, both secure and usnecure are picked up fine.

The router is an N-type set to 'mixed' N/B/G mode, the laptop supports B/G. I'm using a wide 40Mhz channel (11) with 13 being default channel. SSID broadcast is on and all other pcs work perfectly. Security is set to PSK-2 personal, AES.

what am i missing :confused:

that is odd.

I would see if netstumbler can scan the networks to see if it can view it.

Other than that you may see if there are other drivers for your wireless card.... however it is odd that you can see other networks.

Sounds simple enough to me. When you reformated it didn't install the correct driver. Go to your laptop's manuafactuer's site and download the correct driver.

Failing that: Switch your router to "G-only" mode.

I've tried both reinstalling the newest drivers and setting the network to G only, and neither worked. Could it have to do with the channel, that somehow the laptop doesnt support or detect it?

Oh yes it was ;)

I've changed some other setting in the router and now it will find the network, but not connect, with either the windows wizard or the intel drivers. This is very, very annyoying :/

I've tried a myriad of different settings but i cant get the laptop to connect to the network. The windows wizard does find it but as soon as i tell it to connect it says 'network is unavailable or out of range'.

Went back to the store where i bought the router, guys didnt knew of any issues.

:confused:

A friend of a housemate came in today with the exact same issues so i decided to play around with the WLAN settings on the router. Setting channel from 1 to 11 fixed it all :mad:

Back