• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 temps are uneven.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UglyChild

Im using CoreTemp 0.96.1 to read the temps of my CPU. At idle; Core 0 shows temp of 20C, Core 1 shows temp of 32C. At full load temps are only 5C apart.

I remounted and reapplied thermal paste few times, and temps are still the same. Is this common thing for this CPU?

Last edited:
Its normal, mine reads 7c difference

I think its just reporting the temps wrong

I think its just reporting the temps wrong
Nope, its correct. It is just the difference in quality of each processor (less contamination = lower temps???:shrug:) and the quality of the IHS installation. Mine are about 8 different on my quad; Core 0/1 63c load while Core 2/3 58c load.

I get 5-10c difference and none of the cores ever idles below 42c
I get the SAME thing.
Nope, its correct. It is just the difference in quality of each processor (less contamination = lower temps???:shrug:) and the quality of the IHS installation. Mine are about 8 different on my quad; Core 0/1 63c load while Core 2/3 58c load.

Who knows, allot of people are getting the same exact temp readings on different coolers / clocks / voltages, thats the only thing that makes me wonder if its poor software support.

The "CPU" temp for me, which is the bios reading, fluctuates to voltage and load changes realistically. But thats not the the core temps.. :shrug: (it reads 28c idle and about 45c load)

Maybe Intel will have an answer for us one day. :beer:

on my quad there all 37 accept for core 2, its 38 :)on load (prime95) i get 49 on cores 0 and 2, 47 on the other 2 cores so mine are all pretty close.

Who knows, allot of people are getting the same exact temp readings on different coolers / clocks / voltages, thats the only thing that makes me wonder if its poor software support.

The "CPU" temp for me, which is the bios reading, fluctuates to voltage and load changes realistically. But thats not the the core temps.. :shrug: (it reads 28c idle and about 45c load)

Maybe Intel will have an answer for us one day. :beer:
If you look at the way the software works and what it reads, you will come to the conclusion that it isn't off, it can't be. If it was off on one, it would be off the same amount on the others.

Unless they completely revamped the way they detect temps, I very much doubt it is off. You could ask "The Coolest" here on OCF since he wrote CoreTemp.

Yeah, i'm not saying they are right or wrong. Its just almost everyone is getting temps that just don't add up..

Yeah, i'm not saying they are right or wrong. Its just almost everyone is getting temps that just don't add up..
It could also be the way they are mounting the chip's IHS...no idea :shrug:

I just know how and where the program reads and it can't really be off.

One of my cores has about 8-10 degrees difference.

It makes sense to me because back in the single core days you could get good chips and average chips which ran cooler or hotter depending on the chip you were lucky (or unlucky enough) to get.

Except now we have the dilema of either having 2 good cores, 2 average cores or a mix of both hence why there could be the difference in temps.

Such is the way with the fabrication process and all that.

One of my cores has about 8-10 degrees difference.

It makes sense to me because back in the single core days you could get good chips and average chips which ran cooler or hotter depending on the chip you were lucky (or unlucky enough) to get.

Except now we have the dilema of either having 2 good cores, 2 average cores or a mix of both hence why there could be the difference in temps.

Such is the way with the fabrication process and all that.
Just so you know, the "dual cores" are 2 cores on one die ;)

Like so:
http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/276/Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 - CPU.jpg

mine are nearly the same they vary by a degree or so C. Mostly the same :bday:

Attachments

• core.jpg
    core.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 275
Back