• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What intel will match or pass Phenom performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frylance88

Registered
I was just wondering if anybody had any input on what intel processor would provide around the same performance as a phenom 9000 series....i will probably just be gaming. THanks!

thats a very blunt way of putting it, but especially in terms of overclocking the C2D or even C2Q are really putting the gears to AMD this round

Any Core2quad should do.

Fixed :)

A couple of the high end dual cores are still better in gaming then the phenoms, but those tend to be exceptions rather then rules IIRc.

Games do not have to be "quadcore" games to take advantage of the quad processors... I noticed minor hiccups in games like civilization when I dropped from a Q6600 to a E6400. But I always have IMs and browsers open maybe torrents or something. If not other things.

One of the big sites just did a comparison between the Phenom and the 9600 - can't remember which one, maybe Anand? If I recall, even the low-end C2Ds gave the 9600 a run for its money, and all the high-end chips spanked it.

lol so if i get a e2200 and clock it to around 3ghz....it will spank a phenom...my uncle just bought a phenom 9500 and was talking crap about how i was getting a dual-core intel...i just wanted to know what i would have to buy since im ordering parts for new system this weekend...thanks for the replies.

Get the E2xxx chip and overclock it to 3.x ghz. Everything else being equal, you will get better frames than your uncle in your games no doubt.

Get the E2xxx chip and overclock it to 3.x ghz. Everything else being equal, you will get better frames than your uncle in your games no doubt.

yup.... the phenom is a joke... hell just head over to the AMD forum... look up the thread Have phenoms gotten a bad rap.... everyone even the amd guys dislike them...

ANY core 2 chip will kick the crap outta the phenom in singlethreaded and dual threaded apps... a q2q will just downright kick the snot out of it no matter what.

lol so if i get a e2200 and clock it to around 3ghz....it will spank a phenom...my uncle just bought a phenom 9500 and was talking crap about how i was getting a dual-core intel...i just wanted to know what i would have to buy since im ordering parts for new system this weekend...thanks for the replies.

An Intel C2D E8400 would be a good choice. With some simple air cooling and a good psu you should easily achieve 4Ghz and that will spank that phenom into the dust. :D

I was just wondering if anybody had any input on what intel processor would provide around the same performance as a phenom 9000 series....i will probably just be gaming. THanks!

Any random dual or quad off of any shelf will beat it by a lot. Lets not even start with prices. -.-

Only in game FPS if your uncle does other things like encoding videos, the phenom will seriously outperform a "celeroe" series c2d chip.

As for your gaming FPS... yes a HIGH END cnoroe is going to be better...

Here is a good example 8800x600 resolution so the load is put on the CPU

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&article_id=622892&image_id=741802&show=original

Bear in mind... the e8400 was downclocked to 2.4GHz... and the Phenom had 2 cores disabled...
So an e6600 (4MB cache chip (4 times more cache then the e2xxx series).. .remember cache means something in gaming for intel... not so much on AMD since they have no FSB, performs roughly 15% BETTER then half of a phenom...

Would be great to see more details...

I would go with the intel quad personally... just because they are so overclockable it will last you a good long time... the phenom i would grab if you already have an AM2 setup. if all you do is game... then I would not even bother upgrading now, just trim your OS and monitor your processes and you will fly on any DC.

Also keep in mind..

If you have a good GPU, and a nice monitor... odds are that it wont matter what CPU you have, the higher the res the more the load shifts to the video card.

Bang for buck is the Q6600.... it's highly overclockable and doesn't cost hardly anything. To answer your main question, just about any c2d/c2q with 2.4ghz clock and higher is probably close and most of the time better than the phenom's.

no im buying mobo and cpu this friday...im pretty set on the e2200 and overclock it....still not sure on what matx 775 board though....i was just skeptical of who would get the better fps in games because we both will have 8800's and 2gig ram...and he wont overclock...but ill have it oc'ed as soon as its running right. thanks!

yup.... the phenom is a joke... hell just head over to the AMD forum... look up the thread Have phenoms gotten a bad rap.... everyone even the amd guys dislike them...

ANY core 2 chip will kick the crap outta the phenom in singlethreaded and dual threaded apps...

phenom is about as much of a joke as intel having to push back there release of the 8xxx chips also due to the errata bug. Not a total joke. Just issues that weren't totally fixed on both sides...

2 statement do you have any links to results should that Any c2 chip can beat a phenom if so I would like to see them.

jonspd

no im buying mobo and cpu this friday...im pretty set on the e2200 and overclock it....still not sure on what matx 775 board though....i was just skeptical of who would get the better fps in games because we both will have 8800's and 2gig ram...and he wont overclock...but ill have it oc'ed as soon as its running right. thanks!

even if he did oc hes only gonna get a max of 2.7ghz... where a stock 2.4ghz q6600 will still smoke it.

again Phenoms are a joke... grab ur self an xeon X3210 quad if ur money concious.... 2.13ghz stock and could easily grab 3.0ghz for 244@ the egg.

Go intel, dual or Quad, it's the better platform right now. Unless you're gifted an AMD mobo or CPU there's really no reason to go AMD. An IP35E runs something absurd like $70 right now and there are great Intel deals at every price level. See my sig? 'nuf said.

Save some money and don't bother with an e2200. The higher stock speed doesn't mean much when oc'ing, a 9x multi (e2160) is generally sufficient to max out the speed of a 65nm C2D. The only catches there are speed binning where better chips go to the higher standard speed grades, but e2xxx are already cut-down from e4xxx so it's already binned down in that regard, and FSB wall. Do some research and find out if the e2xxx commonly have a frontside bus wall below 400MHz. If so then the higher multiplier may be worthwhile, otherwise 9x400MHz=3.6GHz which is already above average for a 65nm C2D.

Back