• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Card: Asus EN8800GT 1GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
[H] did a review of the 1g vs 512 and there was maybe 1-2% i think increase at really high resolutions, evenw ith crysis, if you can get one for the same price as a 512, sure why not, but i think it is a case of, once games can use 1G the 8800Gt wont be powerful enough anyways.

Exactly! Finally someone said that. lol I ended up getting the Radeon 3870x2 1GB http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATI-Radeon-HD-3870X2-1-GB.html For $340CAD, so basicly I exchanged the GT 1GB ($300), paid the $40 difference and got that one. Is that good? lol I hope so. It benches higher than 2 GTX's SLi'd so it had better be a good pickup. Also, did I overpay?

The stock CPU speed of mine is actually 900MHz, different than the one in the link. :)

You made a good choice.

Yeah, you don't have a 1GB frame buffer...it's still only 512MB, but it should still give you great results. Even though both 512MB frame buffers are filled w/ almost identical data i guess it's just too hard (or too costly) for them to figure out how to get the multiple cores to share the same memory pool.

1920x1080 is the same at 26", and 72"

I have a 95" screen at 1280x720, but it still uses less memory than your 'little' 42"er. :p

Yeah, you don't have a 1GB frame buffer...it's still only 512MB, but it should still give you great results. Even though both 512MB frame buffers are filled w/ almost identical data i guess it's just too hard (or too costly) for them to figure out how to get the multiple cores to share the same memory pool.

1920x1080 is the same at 26", and 72"

I have a 95" screen at 1280x720, but it still uses less memory than your 'little' 42"er. :p

Two Jason's, two projectors. lol I have the BenQ W5000 HDTV 1080P LCD Projector, I managed a screen size of 155" in my living room. lol Very kewl for Cinema but toooooo big for games. Well, PC games anyway, I get motion sickness. lol

A couple FPS's have made me a little queasy, but Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii is fine. It gets better if I get further back, but I pretty much just play FPS's on the 22" now. I do like my driving games in the living room on the projector, though.

155" is a bit much, though!

I've got the Sanyo PLV-Z4. Just put in the extra free bulb, and it has a lot of pop right now. Once this bulb wares out I'll probably be looking to go 1080p.

A couple FPS's have made me a little queasy, but Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii is fine. It gets better if I get further back, but I pretty much just play FPS's on the 22" now. I do like my driving games in the living room on the projector, though.

155" is a bit much, though!

I've got the Sanyo PLV-Z4. Just put in the extra free bulb, and it has a lot of pop right now. Once this bulb wares out I'll probably be looking to go 1080p.

My living room is 25ft by 20ft aprox, and the throw distance I have right now is around 16ft. So I don't sit super close. But I love my "theater" experience. :) Yes car games are really cool on the Projectors aren't they. ;)

P7050008_1.JPG

P7050004_1.JPG

Very cool Jason! Pink makes it look even better :p

@Saihossoku: I second the 3870X2 over the 8800GT. Especially for high resolution, since that is where the 3870 shines.

you got a 3870x2 for 339USD? wtf thats an AMAZING deal.

It will really shine at the resolutions you play at :). great choice bar none

I'm glad I grabbed it then. I'll be playing on minimum 1920x1080. As for the deal, Toronto is a great place to live and a great place for deals....especially when you know the owner. :)

I'm glad I grabbed it then. I'll be playing on minimum 1920x1080. As for the deal, Toronto is a great place to live and a great place for deals....especially when you know the owner. :)
You got a great deal on that card!!! I'd buy it in an instant at that price (where did you get it??).

You got a great deal on that card!!! I'd buy it in an instant at that price (where did you get it??).

A little store on College and Spadina in Toronto where I live. I know the owner, I've dropped mad dollars over the years so he did me a Valentine's Favour...okay that sounded nasty! lol You know what I mean.

A little store on College and Spadina in Toronto where I live. I know the owner, I've dropped mad dollars over the years so he did me a Valentine's Favour...okay that sounded nasty! lol You know what I mean.

So how is that card performing? Have you tried Crysis at high settings?

Back