• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Commando won't boot after year of use and no hardware changes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vixro

Hi, I just tried to boot up my computer this morning and I can't get it to start. I haven't changed anything in my hardware or software lately and the only "change" I can think of is that I turned off my computer last night when I went to bed instead of leaving it on. It was a very cold night in my room (much colder than the computer has been at before probably) and when I went to boot this morning I get nothing! All the fans spin, I get past CPU Init, and then the LCD poster gives me CHIP INIT and doesn't post. The CD rom spins and opens and closes, but that's it. No display on the screen, resetting the cmos gives me the same issue.

Any help? I've never really run into a wall like this before and I'm not sure what to do.

I've tried resetting the cmos a few times. I've completely killed the power to it and tried restarting. I've tried reboots, cold boots, hard power boots. All I get is the sound of everything starting, including the hard drivers, and a solid HD activity light and no POST. I don't even get my secondary "boot" when I have problems. The no-crash software that would boot my computer then a few seconds later turn it off and reboot it doesn't even seem present. I think something may be wrong with the motherboard itself but I don't know what to do.

Information is in sig.

Last edited:
Alright, I used what I learned in 8th grade to do the trick. I took the computer down to the bare minimum and started adding piece by piece. I removed all the hard drive power, removed the sound card, removed all of the ram but one stick.

I tried to boot again, no go. I removed a piece of RAM and put in a different piece, booted straight away. Looks like I may have a piece of faulty corsair. D: At least I got it fixed. :) Though it doesn't make any sense. After retesting boot on all 4 pieces of ram, two of them did not work. To make it even more strange the 2 that didn't work were part of the same "dual channel matched" pair, my older (first) set. The second set of the same exact RAM that arrived maybe 3-4 days after this first set work just fine. I am confused about why a *Pair* of ram would just die. I'm going to have to do some memtest checks. :/

Guess that answers it, both pieces of RAM in the set fail to allow me to boot the computer no matter what combination is used. If either piece of RAM from the set is in the computer, while part of my other pieces or on their own, the computer will not boot. It's not a total loss, as they are still covered by Newegg's waranty for another 3 months. I have filled out an RMA request for my RAM (hah, like the wording there?) and I'll have to see what happens when I get a replacement set.

This is still very strange, considering its the pair that failed and an identical pair ordered 3 weeks later still works great....

Last edited:
Back