• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plug in ducting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mw521

Here is what I did to make a removable duct that you can just unplug when you are not using it or it gets too cold for you. On the front of the case I used a 4 inch pvc coupling that I cut in half and mounted in front of my intake fan. I cut the hole for it kinda tight and sealed it from the back with some hot melt glue. The part that plugs in with the dryer vent tubing is just a 4 inch to 3 inch pvc reducer. The dryer vent tubing fits on the 3 inch end perfect and doesn't even need a clamp. I cut a short piece of 4 inch pvc tubing and mounted it in one end of the reducer. I sanded the end slightly that connects to the compouter so it didn't get stuck when you plug it in. The other end of the dryer vent tubing just goes to a small piece of plywood with a dryer vent mounted in it. The plywood fits in your window and you can close it down to hold it. I put a filter on the window end so as to keep bugs and crap out. When you are finshed, just unplug it and put it away.:beer:

Now that is air cooling!!!

It beats mine, it is stuck in my side panel...but I love the cooling, it is super-cold right now, and I can get my cpu down into the high 20's.

flounder43 said:

It beats mine, it is stuck in my side panel...but I love the cooling, it is super-cold right now, and I can get my cpu down into the high 20's.
Put you a filter on that thing Flounder. Just get material, say a piece of aircondtioning filter about an inch bigger square than your hole. For a quick fix you could tape it over your intake fan. To make it a little more "prettified" mount some aluminum channel around your intake that you can just slip in a square of filter media.:beer:

flounder43 said:

Hey, I recognize that cardboard box in the background. :p

How do you like the case?

GaDaLf said:
Where do those ducts connect too? Outside?
Yes, I ran the hose up to the window. In the window I put a piece of plywood with a vent in it. I can close the window down on it ( about 8 inches high) and seal it off. If you want some pics I will send them.:beer:

Crazy Jayhawk said:
Hey, I recognize that cardboard box in the background. :p

How do you like the case?

You betcha, "super" nice case. I recommend it to everyone who asks...Thanks for the posting about yours!!!

mw521 said:
Yes, I ran the hose up to the window. In the window I put a piece of plywood with a vent in it. I can close the window down on it ( about 8 inches high) and seal it off. If you want some pics I will send them.:beer:

I get it now, but I soem pics would be nice! :)

i thought about it

i thought about running a duct outside...but the temps are below 0 outside up here in stupid minnesota! but if i did that id have to duct it back out side so it doesnt freeze my rrom and then id have to prevent it from condensation, and how i would run it outside? i dont know to keep it from freezin my room

Jon

I haven't had any condensation problems here. Ask Flounder too as he is in MInn. with the same thing. The vent to outside sits in window and is made out of a piece of plywood. You can shut the window down on it to seal it or just take it out if you want. I also haven't had any problems with it cooling the room too much, but my area is upstairs in my house and it stays pretty warm up here with natural gas heat. :beer:

Back