• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network dropping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeXter778

Registered
Hey guys I havent posted here in a long time, but Ive got a problem I cant solve and its driving me nuts. My specs are
AMD X2 5000
Asus m2r32-mvp crossfire
2 gigs ram corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200
2 Maxtor HD 200 gigs sata
1 Seagate HD 300 gigs sata
Dlink gigabit ethernet Dge 530 T
Dlink gigabit gaming router
Vista Ultimate

My network connection just drops for no reason at all and I have to reset the network adaptor to fix it. This happens multiple times a day depending on how much I am online and usually if im gaming but it has happened at other times too. When it does there is no lan or wan and cant ping the router or even loop back. Let me tell what I have done to try to solve this so far, as I dont think there is a solution really at least untill vista sp1 comes out but who knows.
First I DL all drivers, lan, mother board, video.
I replaced the old router that was a 10/100 with the gigabit in specs.
Disable onboard ethernet and replaced it with the nic card in specs.
Disable Ipv6 because some forum said that might help (wrong)
Disable dhcp in router and set to static
Disable most off load settings on nic card (doesnt help)
Called microsoft who just gave me the runaround for about a week before they told me it was a driver problem and I should work online in safe mode for 4 to 5 hours and see if it still happens, at that point I knew that at least the MS division in India had no idea.

Just so you know my XP machine on same router never drops off line.
So Im back here where I sould have come first. Any solutions or thoughts would be great.:confused:

ISP is comcast. Mostly im gaming when it drops but it has happend at other times, and my Xp machine never drops.

Nope no bit torrents running no large files being past. It will work fine for lets say an hour then the nic card just losses connection. Onlything useing network is steam.

Ugh just dropped again and lost sound while playing css had to reboot. I have one other desktop running xp that never drops it does use bit torents sometimes but never has a problem. All so have a wifi laptop running vista with no problems. The xp machine is off at the moment. Thx for your help adragontattoo.

Comcast blocks oh wait I mean (delays) BT packets by sending false reset packets to both you and the BT "servers".

I had a similar issue when downloading iso's that I needed for work/home and I had to call comcast to try to get it fixed. Even with logs and such they still said there was no issue and refused to do anything other then send a tech out.

The tech looked at my setup and asked what I did, when I told him that I worked from home some and also played with different linux distros he suddenly had to make a call.

since then no issues.

There is little to nothing that you will truly be able to do if it is an ISP issue which it more then likely is. They are probably resetting your connection and if that is the case. You are out of luck on getting a resolution.

Call them and ask, they will probably blow you off but it is worth a shot.

Wouldnt that knock out my whole network and not just my vista comp? My xp machine is stable and not even running at the moment. I had no problems untill I built this new machine. I swear I think the ATI chipset is just unstable. But its good to know about the Isp thing I will keep that in mind.

Already tried that cost me about 30 bucks. I was wondering if you or anyone has heard about the instablity caused by media files playing while a lot of network traffic is running and if there is a fix for it yet.
Like this http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=702

Maybe Im just fishing.

Back