• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyway to get OCZ ram cooler to fit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

Basics:

680i SLI
8800GTX
4gig ram
soundblaster x-fi card

The issue lies in how much room the OCZ ram cooler and 8800GTX take up. I can't fit the cooler on, and the card in the first x16 slot. Since I have the x-fi card, I can't fit the 8800gtx in the 2nd 16x slot. Is there any way anyone has got this to work short of not using hardware (neither takin out x-fi card or not using cooler)?

Can you post a pic of your setup? It's kind of hard to 'see' what you mean. I have an Asus P5E mobo and, although it's a snug fit, I can mount my X2 in the first PCIe slot, with my SX-Fi soundcard just above it.....I even have a spare PCIe x1 slot free above my X-Fi.....perhaps a physic card in the future. Here's a pic of mine, as you can see, the XTC RAM cooler is almost touching my gfx card -
P1000119.jpg

I can't see your pic, it's blocked at work. Here is a pic of my mobo:

13-188-013-03.jpg

Now I can't fit the card in the first 16x slot w/ the cooler on. No way, no how. They hit easily. I have the xfi card in the bottom pci slot, and I can't get the 8800GTX in the 2nd x16 slot. I haven't tried moving the xfi card up...that could possibly work. Is that how yours is setup DaGamer?

Here's a pic of my mobo -
13-131-219-05.jpg
Looking at your mobo and mine, it seems that the first PCIe x16 slot are about in line with each other....in fact, mine looks to be closer to the dimm slots, doesn't it? Have you tried physically fitting the cooler in after slotting in the gfx card (or vice versa)? With mine, it was a very snug fit but my RAM cooler managed to get in. I had to loosen the top thumb screw of my cooler to slide it into place over my Ram, even my X-Fi fitted in....like I said, it was tight, but it turned out well enough.

Edit - Bear in mind my X2 is as long and hefty as your GTX, so if mine can do it, I don't see why yours can't.

They look very close, and yours fit? If I take the tightening screw off, it'll work and be real close. If that screw is on though, it's a no-go :-\. I'll snap some pics of the setup when I get home.

They look very close, and yours fit? If I take the tightening screw off, it'll work and be real close. If that screw is on though, it's a no-go :-\. I'll snap some pics of the setup when I get home.
Well, if you can see my first pic, yu'd see that it can fit, just loosen/remove the thumb screw at the top of the cooler first, and slip it into position and tighten the screw. As I'd said, it's a snug fit but it works and that's all that matters.:beer: Here's a shot of my setup, as you can see, it fits quite nicely!
P1000118.jpg

Use the normal screw for the bottom placement and the thumb screw for the top. Put the cooler on bottom first and then the top. Tighten up the thumbscrew and you should be fine. If you are really paranoid(I am), put some electric tape on the bottom so that if you do happen to touch the card nothing will happen.

If you are really paranoid(I am), put some electric tape on the bottom so that if you do happen to touch the card nothing will happen.
Crap, I didn't think of that, good idea dude! Will get right to doing this in the morning....:)

Just hang it off the top of the ram with no screw on the bottom portion. Unless you are moving your case around, this does not cause an issue at all. I have had mine hanging for months now with no issues. Many others on this forum have the same setup.

Seems it'll fit w/ the flat screws (had em sittin here but paid no attention to em) but be VERY VERY close.

My new case arrives tomorrow and it's a v1200plusII from Lian-Li, the mobo is flipped so the cooler will actually be hanging from the side next to the GPU.

Electrical tape for the win! This is going to be close enough that the flex in the car (if say it was bumped) could make them connect, which would suck a fatty to your vid card, and maybe even your mobo and such as well.

Holding it up there, it should work. I'll attach it tomorrow and see for sure but if you use the flat screw that is included, should be good to go :).

Thanks guys!

you can always do something like this if the OCZ ram cooler doesn't work

ram%20cooler%20002.jpg

keeps my gskill nice and cool. have the fan 50% via bios

I'll post for sure :).

Ya, I figured that's what I'd do. They run nice a cool, I am just anal about my cooling I guess. They are running at 1.85 @ 800mhz now with hella good timings (4-3-3-7, gunna try 4-2-2-6 soon) so they aren't really stressed and cranked up to 2.2v, but it's nice to know they are way cool.

Anyone wanna fund a watercooling setup for me? :).

Back