• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For those w/ a Lian-Li V1200PLUSII...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

I have a question. The PCI slot cooler (side mounted 120mm fan) it appears the stock orientation has it as an exhaust fan.....anyone have any experience in mounting it as an intake fan? I got the case late last night and am skipping class tonight to put it together, haha. Would like any info ya have before I build it...can always change it around ,but if someone else has already doen the testing I'd rather save myself the time and trouble.

Logically in my head it'd see to make a good intake fan (specially since the intake fan on the front is in the HDD area) as my 8800GTX sucks case air in and blows it out the back of the case (just stock 8800GTX cooling..), would make since to have fresh air coming in yes?

Anyone know?

It's not, it's just a 120mm side mount, I can easily just flip it around. I am going to build it blowing in, we'll see how it works.

You would have to have some way of reversing the turbine direction on it if it is one of those slot cooler fans, which I don't believe you can do easily....

Yea, you can just flip the fan around.

I have the 1000Plus case and I would suggest keeping that one as exhaust. Since it is the top of the case, alot of heat will collect there. The fan for the graphics card isn't enough to keep all that air cool.

(However, I have a raid card and sound card there as well, so I have another reason to pull air out)

The fan that was backwards for me was the CPU exhaust fan, when I got the case it was actually sucking in, flipped the fan around and dropped like 15C.

Ok, cool. That's how I have it setup :). BUUUUT, not I have another issue.

I have my ultra 120-extreme orientated so it sits vertical in the case, so the heat sink fan blows air straight over it and out the exit. I cannot get the mobo to mount as the ultra 120-ex is a little fan and hits the separator wall between the PSU and mobo area. Any ideas? Looks like you have a similar setup (based on sig)

Here is a pic of said non-fitting...Kinda makin me mad, lol.

suckscockdr5.jpg

Any ideas to get it to work short of cutting case, getting new mobo, or getting rid of cooler? I could change it so it sits the other way, but that wont work that well I don't think :-\. It's ruining my perfect build! grrrr!

Turn the heatsink, or cut a hole for it to fit. Not much else you can do.

Well if I turn it, I don't think I'll get near as good of air flow, nor be able to use my ram cooler.

What do you think about cutting the 6th of an inch or whatever off w/ a dremel, think it'd work with little to no ill effects on the cooling?

Why don't you try it sideways and see if it makes too much of a difference. And if it does, just cut a hole in the case so the heatsink will fit.

Cutting your case to fit the heatsink is going to make one big ugly hole and will probably end up looking kinda ghetto. Not sure if cutting the heatsink is the best idea either. Might as well try mounting it so it fits and see how well it performs. You could always find a heatsink that fits before you hack at that great case.

I just went and bought me a P5K Premium, and sold my 680i board. Hopefully this new one will over clock as good or better :).

every thing fits BTW, seems like the 680i and 780i boards just have the socket sitting a little to low.

Last think I would do is hack my 230 dollar case for a 60 dollar heat sink. Everything is fitting in the case now, ram cooler, vid card, HS, etc. I'll post pics once I finishing playing around w/ oc'ing :p.

Idle temps = 22c BTW...

I have the same problem. I have a 780i and a zalman 9700. I had to grind down the fins by a couple of millimeters on the underside. You can't see anything and modifying the fins doesn't affect cooling. Still, I wished they would ov made it with another cm. of clearance on the bottom.

How are you temps on the lian li? I have my exhast exiting on the side and rear fans. Nothing for inflow but as you know the case is fenistrated and it sucks air in.

Any adaptions to bring more air in?

Back