• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64 & 4GIG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BEEAH

To start off, yes, I used the search option, I even used the google one too.

Vista 64 is blue screening at any point I install anything over 2 gig when its loading. It's not matter of seeing it, its a matter of not getting a blue screen when Vista loads. Alot of the stuff I read points to memory voltages and BIOS settings, so thats what I have focused on. I also installed updates and drivers with no help. I know the memory is ok as I had it running for days with it using Windows XP.

I have been working on this for hours. I have updated all that I could find, raised Memory Voltage to 2.2 as the memory needs, changed bios options, swapped every imaginable combination between the 4 sticks... One thing I don't like is this picture. Why does it show two of the slots at 1.8V, and that CAS# Latency at different timings? I'm a bit confused when they are all 5's in BIOS.

2283068864_4172c9a1ec_o.jpg

2282280519_cc03e2028c_o.jpg

2283041882_7f4d266626_o.jpg

Please help!!

Last edited:
I can't see it, But CPUZ uses SPD to see the voltages on the memory, It does not monitor the voltage going to the memory.

Those are the timing tables. They are not saying what your memory is running at currently.

If you look at that table, you will see each column has different speed/timings....and you know you can't do that ;)

What does Task Manager say?

I'm sorry I needed to be a bit more specific on what my problem is. When I install anything more the 2 gig, Vista goes into blue screen of death when loading. Its not a matter of seeing it, its a matter of booting and not crashing.

Do you have "memory remap" feature enabled in your BIOS?

Why did you delete your post before my last one? :confused:

Do you have "memory remap" feature enabled in your BIOS?

Why did you delete your post before my last one? :confused:

I don't see a memory remap option in my bois. Could it be called something else? Ill look again.

I changed my post a bit because I think I did not make my question clear enough is all. My fault.

Checking for that re-map again.

There is no Memory Remap in my bios at all.

I messed with some stuff, loaded in one of my saved profiles in BIOS, clocked it to 3.2GHz, tightened up the timings and shes running with 4 gig right now.

I don't think it will stay like this though. I expect a BSOD any time now. It lasted like this once before.

What's the exact error message in the BSOD?

I forget, ill get it asap today. It seems the only time the thing is stable is at 3GHz, anything over that I have been unable to keep it 100% stable. I don't think its a problem of Vista as much now, its just a problem of a n00b and a $2200 puter that the owner needs to learn more about.

It seems like it makes no difference if I have 2 or 4 GIG in now, she fails both ways.

I started from scratch (All stock speeds & Volts) and am trying to ramp it up little by little again.

FWIW, it is always more difficult to OC with more sticks of RAM... makes things fun tho :D What volts are you giving the RAM and what are they rated at?

I'm actually having the exact same problems with my gaming rig, running an XFX 780i and 4GB of OCZ-SLI.

I haven't overclocked it at all, though, so there shouldn't really be any reason for the BSODs. I've updated the bios to the latest build, updated the snot out of Vista x64...

I had to go in and manually set the max RAM to 3.8GB. Of course, about two reboots later, it stuck itself at 2.5GB and won't go any higher. The little box is grayed out so you can't change it. I then formatted it and started all over again (having to do it about 10 times before it didn't BSOD me out of the Vista installation manager). When I finally got back into Vista, it was showing all 4GB again, though it was BSODing randomly. I set it back to 3840 manually, and once again, after a reboot, it set it self to 2.5GB and won't budge.

I have it dual booted with WinXP and it works fine there, still detecting only 2.5GB though, but that should be expected since it's a 32-bit OS. Memtest says everything's kosher, and BIOS detects all the RAM.

I'm officially baffled.

On the other hand, the rig in my sig runs beautiful with 4GB of RAM. Granted, the only common thing between the two rigs is they're both running OCZ RAM (the rig in my sig uses Reaper, however) and Vista x64.

I dunno. Any opinions?

Specs of the system:
Intel E-8400
4GB OCZ-SLI Edition
XFX 780i TRI-SLI
2x XFX 8800GT
Seagate 500GB SATA
Thermaltake Armor
Ultra X-2 750-Watt PSU
Vista Business x64

Last edited:
Have you tried each stick on its own to make sure you don't have a bad stick?

also are you all up to date on OS updates?

Jeff

:mad:

I uninstalled NTune from my system, the PC is now 90% more stable....

I knew that NTune was messed up, so I just didn't touch it and used Riva Tuner. Somehow NTune was changing motherboard settings all the time.

I have the system purdee stable at 3.2GHz right now with memory timings stock at 2.2V. I push it up to 3.4GHz and she freezes up a bit(More Volts prolly). Running much better now.

Last edited:
There is a know issues with some chipsets were they have issues were more then 2 gb of ram. Vista sp1 has a fix, I thin k you can get the hot fix now though from MS.

You need to get your memory config in order, don't try and boot until you can pass a couple of loops of Memtest or Vista's built in extended memory diagnostic.

Back