• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor: 360 HD-DVD drive to fall to $49.99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I picked one up last night for $50. Last one they had, they seem to be completely gone at most Gamestops. So there defintely getting sucked up quickly.

I have a few HD-DVD movies still, and will prolly grab a few more as they will be pretty cheap. Drive works with vista and it can rip HD-DVD content. So for $50 no brainer.

A friend of mine got one for $50 at Best Buy and the 5 free movies deal was still valid as well. so for $50 he got the drive, King Kong and a mail in offer for 5 more movies

A friend of mine got one for $50 at Best Buy and the 5 free movies deal was still valid as well. so for $50 he got the drive, King Kong and a mail in offer for 5 more movies

I think that deal is good til the end of the month. I might have to pick one up. An HD-DVD player for the PC, Kong, and five other movies.

Any idea how cheap HD-DVDs are going for now?

I think that deal is good til the end of the month. I might have to pick one up. An HD-DVD player for the PC, Kong, and five other movies.

Any idea how cheap HD-DVDs are going for now?

Hollywood was clearing them out for $15 for used ones, they didn't have anything I wanted though. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, FYE etc.... could do that on new ones or do better I think as most DVD new releases are $15.

To be honest I don't think that's going to happen. It's sort of akin to Sega's brilliant move of having the Dreamcast be powered by Windows CE (then Microsoft announces their own console a year later). It wouldn't make any sense to make their console dependant on Sony hardware because Sony would just SCREW them.

I mean *I* would screw them... and I'm just a vindictive Small Business owner not a vindictive corporation.

Pretty well-sourced rumors that the Xbox 360 will get a Blu-Ray add-on as early as mid-year. It's in their best interest to not have customers purchasing Sony hardware.

Sega's hardware business fell apart for a number of reasons, all unrelated to licensing the Windows CE platform to power the Dreamcast.

Pretty well-sourced rumors that the Xbox 360 will get a Blu-Ray add-on as early as mid-year. It's in their best interest to not have customers purchasing Sony hardware.

Sega's hardware business fell apart for a number of reasons, all unrelated to licensing the Windows CE platform to power the Dreamcast.

You're only half right. Sega's hardware business did fall apart "for a number of reasons"... but one of those reasons was the Windows CE platform.

You're only half right. Sega's hardware business did fall apart "for a number of reasons"... but one of those reasons was the Windows CE platform.

And the obligatory follow-up: How? :)

By most accounts, CE made development accessible to third parties who puked at the hodge-podge mess that was the Saturn. Sony courted many third-party publishers and developers, who then signed exclusive deals to develop on the PS2. These deals killed off many Dreamcast titles, and developers moved the games to the PS2 instead.

I'm not discounting MS's tried-and-true history of submarining development through poor tools, but I don't think Windows CE was reviled like most MS platforms.

According to wiki the Dreamcast wasn't powered by Windows CE, only the hardware supported CE.

The DC was indeed powered by an embedded version of CE. There's just no evidence to support the claim that the OS of choice had anything to do with the platform tanking (though this rumor has been around since the demise of the DC).

Sony, by and large, can be thanked for killing Sega's last console before it even hit the shelves. Developers left the DC - a great platform to code on, with great tools - for the PS2, which wasn't exactly novice hardware.

According to wiki the Dreamcast wasn't powered by Windows CE, only the hardware supported CE.

I don't care what the wiki says, when you power the damned thing on a big splash screen comes up and says powered by Windows CE (don't remember if this is with or without a game in it, I'll check when I get home.

Hmmm im tempted to get it. I really am tempted but with no newer movies arrg

Got my finger on the button and its right down the road from me.

The DC was killed by using GD Rom (proprietary) as opposed to DVD and by SEGA having a marketing department run by retarded baboons.

While the PS2 was more attractive because of the inclusion of DVD, Sony effectively killed the DC with payouts to developers and more incentives to develop for the PS2. Pretty simple, really. :)

But the baboons - yeah, Sega never had an effective NA marketing campaign for the DC.

I don't care what the wiki says, when you power the damned thing on a big splash screen comes up and says powered by Windows CE (don't remember if this is with or without a game in it, I'll check when I get home.

I thought it showed a swirling Dreamcast logo at bootup?

Also the front of the console says "compatible with Windows CE", nothing about being powered by CE.

I thought it showed a swirling Dreamcast logo at bootup?

Also the front of the console says "compatible with Windows CE", nothing about being powered by CE.

It may be games that say powered by CE after the initial startup logo and sound. I haven't played mine in a while but it is still hooked up. I will check tonight.

Back