• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780i MCP 53 Deg @ Idle (Lockups)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BEEAH

This thing is running at ~53 degrees at idle temps. After some time she will lock up the PC and it takes a good 5 minutes until she will reboot. If you reboot right when she dies I get a ton of failures such as:

Keyboard error or no kb present
BOIS ROM Checksum Error
Drive A Error System Halt...

I still get blue screen's even when im not overclocked.... This $2200 machine is really starting to test my paitence.

2281216585_dbe765c955_b.jpg

Should I spin the CPU cooler back to blowing out the back? Would this help that wuss *** MCP cooler out a bit?

Last edited:
Have you tried a remount yet? Have you lapped the cpu?

The chances are pretty slim but I do have a friend who received a E6300 that idled around that high even after multiple remounts and 3 different heatsinks. Might be just be a very hot-running chip, although I doubt it.

I don't think having the HSF pointing to the rear exhaust fan will achieve any better numbers, heat naturally rises and with the CM690's two top fans it wouldn't be getting trapped anywhere.

MCP not CPU. =)

CPU always stayes very cool from what I see. But that damn MCP is idle at 53 to 57 degrees. I am messing with my fans to try and get this down. What im looking at is the MCP fan blows down through the grills, my CPU fan is blowing away towards the top of the case. So they are right next to each other and blowing in opposite directions. Wondering if that messing with it.

Also, when I manually set my timings, after I get a blue screen, it reboots, then I look at my timings, they are back at 4-4-4-12. But the manual settings are still at 5-5-5-18...???

Ah totally missed that. My 650i NB also ran hot before I popped an HR-03 cooler on it. nVidia chipsets since the 680i have all ran hot from everything that I've seen.

Well I'm guessing you did a remount on the NB then with something other than the factory thermal paste?

Haven't messed with a 780i but what you're describing sounds like a good thing. I get the same thing when my P5K-VM restarts due to instability when I'm first overclocking. The computer resets my mem timings along with clock speed in order to POST but it doesn't change the actual BIOS settings back, which is awesome because it lets me not have to keep track of BIOS settings every time I try to test for stability. If it's unstable and resets everything is there as I set it and I can tweak towards a stable OC. My P5B Deluxe doesn't do this, it's more old school. Failed overclocks/POSTs usually result in the need for a CMOS reset. At least that is what I think you are describing, if not disregard what I wrote.

No, I have not done a remount yet, its comming to that the more I read about it though. You can't change rotation direction on a DC motor by swapping wires correct? Be nice just to flip that stock MCP fan.

I deleted NTune and the system is 90% more stable. I'm running it at 3.2GHz with little issue.

NTune was changing MB settings after the system booted up. Because of this now all I have is Riva Tuner, can only over clock and up the fan speeds on one of the Vid cards until version 2.07 comes out.

I can wait.

Last edited:
Beeah,

I've been seeing the same thing, never paid attention till recently. My cpu temps and such were always on target. But the mcp is around 53c with yours. When running prime95, it will go up to the 60's. I noticed when I was playing neverwinter nights 2, in a window, where I could monitor the system and see where heat was, it was up to 78c. I set the cpu down to the default speed, all voltages manual and still saw the mcp running the same temperatures. I was looking on the pdf manual (my board is an evga, the pdf I downloaded from them) on page 17, it shows the mcp as a passive heat sink directly under the first video card slot. So, in my case, its directly under my video card. (alot of heat next to my video card). I was thinking about adding a side case fan blowing in or out (probably in?) to help dissipate some heat. How are your temperatures for the mcp and did you find out any new information?

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Antec 500W EarthWatts PowerSupply
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333 FSB W/ Zallman 9700Pro Green LED Heatsink with Fan.
80gb Hitachi 7200Rpm hard drive sata, 80gb Western Digital 7200 rpm hard drive sata
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory 4-4-4-15-2T
BFG8800GTX OverClocked Edition 600MHz 768 MB DDR3
Creative X-FI Fatality Xtreme Gamerz Edition Gold plated, 64MB dedicated
Samsung 18x Dvd RW DL write capable sata
Saitek Eclipse Red Edition back lit LED keyboard
Logitech G5 Gaming mouse

In my post above yours I found that most of my issues were from nTune changing MB settings. So its not anywhere near as bad as it was.

I am not aware of any programs that allow us to monitor the MCP temperature in windows, what are you using? Right now to try and help with the MCP temp I am using some thick paper to help guide that small fan to blow the hot air out the back of the case. I then also spun my CPU cooler to blow out the back also, so now the MCP and CPU fans are not fighting each other so bad.

I get some lockups now after playing some Crysis after some time when the cards are heavly overclocked, I'm just not sure exactly what is causing the lockups. Its not card heat as they stay very cool running crysis at 1920x1200. 800/2000/1070

It could still be MCP getting hot. Dunno yet.

Everest ultimate edition will show a diode under the computer (expand the computer, under sensors, doing this from memory, at work, you will see your cpu temps also), you will see it matches the mcp temperatures in your bios (after you heat it up, reboot, it cools down fast, by time you get back in the bios, I bet its about 60c). I think its a common temp but its still alot of heat next to the video card.

Hey Beeah, did you ever find the solution to your hot MCP/locking up? Mine is killing me too :(

hotmcp.jpg

61C on idle :/

Hey Beeah, did you ever find the solution to your hot MCP/locking up? Mine is killing me too :(

hotmcp.jpg

61C on idle :/

Idle temps are as low as 51C now.

I ended up spinning my Freezer Pro so it blows out the back again. I also pulled the stock 120mm fan that comes with the case with a high flow badass. I then use a piece of thick paper(like a greeting card) and took advantage of the rear blowing fans suction power. It pulls all of the hot air comming out the bottom of the MCP very nicly. You can actually feel the hot air moving with it like this. Problems with it are basically gone.

So many problems and little things to debug I wonder if I was ever really having lockups due to the MCP in the first place. At least now I know its moving air through it much better.

Back