• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with OC: Q6600, PSK-Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

So I am having troubles with overclocking my Q6600. I can get it to boot into 3.6 just perfect but it'll just randomly reset at times. This I understand is the high end of the chips (I have a g0 one) and not everyone can hit this stable.

I can't get it to be orthos stable for more than like 10min at 3.2 though (400x8) which is leaving me thinking 'wtf am I doing wrong?!'.

I used to have a 680i board that was stable and I knew it pretty well w/ oc'ing but never got that high due to temp issues. Now I have an Ultra 120-x and a better case so temps are fine. With this board though, I can't seem to tweak it and it has a lot of different settings I have no idea WTF they do.

I have tried up to 1.6 vcore and there is no difference in stability between that and 1.4. They have CPU straps, fsb straps, and all the x.63 things that I have no idea what they do. what they are for, what I should change it to, etc. Anyone have a guide on OC'ing w/ this board? Have a guide on what each thing is for/what it does/where to find all the options needed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my goal is 400x9 but as it sits now, I will be lucky to get 400x8. Thank you

Ok, seems my question was too vague or maybe just insanely stupid? lol. Here are some specific things I am trying to figure out what exactly they do, how I should manipulate them, what to/not to do, etc.

***Under Jumper Free Config***
-FSB strap to north bridge
-DRAM static read control
-Transaction booster
-Clock over-charging mode
-CPU spread spectrum
-PCIE spread spectrum
-CPU voltage reference
-CPU voltage damper
-CPU pll voltage
-FSB termination voltage
-North bridge voltage reference

***Under CPU Config***
-CPU TM function
-PECI

I how this better clarifies my question...

Here's my BIOS settings and notes.

Update 3 BIOS settings/notes:

JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio Control: Auto (manual for testing)
- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
FSB Strap to Northbridge: 333 (Auto works fine)
FSB Frequency: 450 (Max is 480 for me w/ multi at 7)
PCI-E Frequency: 100 (110 didn't allow any additional OC on GPU)
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-900 (1125 works for 2x1GB, but not 4x1GB RAM)
DRAM Command Rate: 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency: 4 (5 for 1125)
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4 (5 for 1125)
RAS# Precharge: 4 (4 for 1125)
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 8 (6 worked, but random issues have made me go back to 8; 10 for 1125)
TWR: AUTO (can't remember 1125 setting)
TRFC: 25 (30 for 1125)
TWTR: 3 (shows up as 10 in memset [skewed])
TRRD: AUTO (2 for 1125)
TRTP: AUTO (can't remember 1125 setting)
DRAM Static Read Control: disabled (I can't enable this and TB at the same time)

Transaction Booster: Enabled
Boost/Relax Level: Level 2 (corresponds to Performance Level = 6)
Clock Over-Charging Mode: 1.000v (had on AUTO, but higher FSB speeds demanded 1v. I may be able to turn this back down a bit for 450)

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.5125v (anything lower gave me core failures after 1.5-2hrs. 1.6v allowed 3.8GHz, but I think a little more is needed for P95.4 stability)
CPU Voltage Reference: 0.63x (I wasn't getting much over 3.2GHz until I changed this from Auto. 0.57x, and 0.59x wasn't stable. 0.61x worked, but I have a feeling 0.63x is best.)
CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.60 (I may be able to reduce this to 1.5 for 450FSB. At 480FSB 1.5-1.6 [or 1.7?] wasn't stable, 1.8-2.2 worked.)
DRAM Voltage: 2.15 (2.3 was used to ensure stability through testing, but 2.2 should be fine)
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30 (1.5 for 480FSB, I may be able to go lower at 450)
North Bridge Voltage: 1.4 (1.8 for 480, anything higher is actually worse)
North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO (0.67x for 480FSB, auto seems to work best for 450)
South Bridge Voltage: 1.05 (I had it at 1.2 during testing to ensure stability...don't know if it helped)

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Control: Auto (manual for testing)
- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
C1E Suppport: Enabled (disabled for testing)
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled (I just left this disabled, I don't know if it hurts or helps)
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled (I just left this disabled, I don't know if it hurts or helps)
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled (Not sure what this does, but I've seen others w/ it enabled)
PECI: Enabled

Here are some links to some guides (they may not be Premium specific, but they still apply):

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5k.html
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5k-deluxe-overclock.html
http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/110267-c2d-overclocking-guide-beginners-p5k-add.html

I haven't searched in a while, but there might be a more recent guide out as well. Also, all of the P5K boards are pretty similar, so if you read something about one of those boards it might be relevant as well.

Let me know if you need anything else after you read up, and/or start playing w/ it some more.

:beer:

Back