• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP 6910p Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
It was time to replace my old Dell Inspiron. I spent a lot of time researching what I wanted/needed. I was looking for a 14.1" mobility. Some of the notebooks I considered were the Dell XPS 1330, Lattitude D630, Precision M2300, HP DV2700T, and the HP 6910p. I checked out all of the notebooks at Best Buy (which I recommend anyone does before buying). I was surprised to see Dell and Apple there. They had several XPS notebooks which were quite nice but I was looking for something a bit less flashy. I also didn't like HP DV2700T due to the shiny plastic. Just a preference. I've used a few lattitude notebooks in the past and I did like them. For work I have a HP Compaq nc6220 which is very similar to the 6910p. It's no-nonsence design and rugged build pushed me towards the 6910p which I eventually purchased.

My experience ordring online through HP was pretty good. My notebook arrived a week ahead of schedule too. The box that arrived was pretty no nonsense (notebook, battery, ac adapter, software, plastic dvd insert, Vista Bus x64 OS and Drivers CD, and two instruction manuals).

When I powered up the notebook it brought up a screen to select my OS (Vista Business x86 or x64). I selected x64 and proceeded with the install. It took about 40 minutes to install the OS, then it ran a system backup for ~40 minutes using a HP backup tool, followed by some customization menus. Overall it took about 2 1/2 hours. It was very easy. I was pleasently surprized to see very little bloatware. Just Norton Antivirus and the Google toolbar.

The build quality on the notebook is excellent. Everything feels very solid. The lid is made of a magnesium alloy and is very thin. I have not noticed any dead pixels on the LCD and the screen is sharp and bright. There is some light on the bottom of the screen but a very acceptable level. The CPU fan doesn't run very often either.

I have some experience with Windows Vista so it wasn't too hard to get used to x64 Vista. Maybe it's an x64 thing but I really had no issues with UAC. The only problem I had was with Flash. I can't run a 64 bit browser because Adobe hasn't updated Flash. Apparently this is a Linux problem too. I installed the following programs without incident
-Office 2007
-Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
-Visual Basic 2008 Express
-SQL Server 2005 Express
-Photoshop CS2
-Guitar Pro 5
-AVG Antivirus

Overall I am pretty satisfied with my notebook.

System Specs

Model HP 6910p
2 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB Ram
Video ATI 128 MB x2300
Screen 14.1" 1440x900
80 GB 7200 RPM SATA HD
DVD RW
Fingerprint reader
SD/SC/3 USB/Firewire
VGA/SVid
Headphones/Microphone
Bluetooth/IR/Wireless B,G,N/Lan/Modem

Vista Scores
CPU: 4.9
RAM: 4.8
Graphics Desktop: 3.9
Graphics Gaming: 3.8
HD: 5.2

It was arround $1700 USD before tax & shipping. Here is a picture for the HP site. It looks the same :)

Attachments

• c00847045.jpg
    c00847045.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 2,187
Back