• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Synaptics Touchpad Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfdarkraiden

Registered
Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A200, the touchpad does not work, I can't move the mouse nor click at all. I tried FN + F7, F8, F9, all that and that did not work. I tried installing the drivers from Toshiba's site and that didn't work either. This is a fairly new laptop that I purchased from a university student from my university. He claims that the mouse worked before he gave it to me, and when he did give it to me I had opened it up to clear the CMOS. If he is not lying then I must have messed the touchpad at that time. Thinking that I re-opened the laptop several times to have the touchpad wire (the wire connecting the pointer to the motherboard) re-inserted several times but no luck.

Right now I am out of ideas, I'd like you guys to suggest what I should do. I'm fairly knowledgeable with computers, but this is my first time dealing with a laptop. My own guess is that I have damaged the wire that is connecting the touchpad to the laptop, if that's the case where would I be able to get a new one to replace it?

PS. I have Windows Vista running on this.

Please help me.

pull the KB and verify that you have fully reseated the cable for the touchpad. It will usually be either a small plug in type or a pull tab type. if it is the pull tab type there will be a small locking mechanism that you will need to flip/pull/unlock prior to reseating the cable for the touchpad.

I tried that mate, and yes it is a pull tab type where I have to unlock it first before removing the cable or put the cable back. I did not know this before, so I found myself forcing the cable in before (which I believe is why the cable MAY have been damaged).

How much do they usually go for? Do I need to get a whole new touchpad or just the wire connecting it to the mobo?

Sounds like a shady deal to me. Looks like fleebay has some touchpads for cheap but who knows if they will work. Maybe toshiba can fix it. Try contacting them and get a quote for repair. Don't tell them you opened it. If they will do it for $100 or less it may be worth it.

I have had the same problem lately. For me it was a driver problem. If you want I can get on msn with you and guide you on how to do it step by step.

Back