• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to watch videos from a hard drive on a TV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to ask this question but I couldn't see a better place. . . .

I just came back from a trip to Europe and I have about 107GB of video that I recorded. I have it all on an internal hard drive. I want to be able to watch this video on my TV but if I try to put all of that video on DVDs it would take at least 30-40 DVDs! . . . So my question is this:

Is there a way to watch hundreds of GBs of video directly from a hard drive to a TV?

I know they have hard drive enclosures that make it possible to plug a normal internal hard drive to a computer via USB. Is there something like that which would make it possible to plug a hard drive to a TV and watch videos?

I really appreciate any help on the subject.

What kind of TV do you have?
Are you lookng for a "Free" way or are you going to want to spend money?

Well at any rate, my suggestion is if you have a HDTV with an HDMI, or Component inputs definitely check out this device.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

i know i know, pc forum, but it was one of the first apple products i purchased and i could stream everything from my PC to my TV conveniently. it just had to stream through iTunes...no biggy, just encode the video to h.264 and your good to go!

essentially if you dont have a wireless network OR a router near by you can opt for their 160GB model and just dump all the content right onto there.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/2007-06-28-pc-video-on-tv_N.htm

for around thirty bucks you can pickup a crappy video card with a TV output on it. OR you probably have one if you already have a decent video card or a laptop. A TV is a monitor, you can't hook a hard drive up to your monitor.

Back