• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cascading dlink router to switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello,

I did some looking around and did you mean ezxs55w?

looks like the switch does have an uplink port.... its the port near the power connector. When using this port it disables the port next to it (2nd from the power connector) try to hook the router into the port next to the power connector and just one other device in one of the first 4 ports.

with the router into the port next to the power connector you can only use ports 1 - 4

The pictures on newegg's site may help

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124005

Sorry about the typo, but yes, tried that. The only suggestion I haven't tried was making a crossover jumper cable on the feed and see if that does it. All the literature says they aren't necessary anymore, but it appears that nothing gets through and I find it hard to believe I've received 3 faulty switches now. I found a link where this this person used a male and female RJ45 and made a 'crossover' to test this exact situation. I just need to pick up a female, I've got several male ends but no female.
Thanks for the input though.

you can just make a crossover cable... if I were you that would be my next step

if you have several male ends and crimper's just cut the end of a cable off and change it to crossover

just change the orange and green wires on ONE end of the cable...

green/white, green, orange white, blue, blue white, orange, brown white, brown

although PC to PC should work without crossover.... maybe you have a bad network cable?

Cable works fine as long as it isn't plugged into the switch.

the cable runs about 60' through the infrastructure of my home, hardwired, that is the reason to make an adapter 'crossover' rather pull the entire length again.

I'm off to Home Depot either this afternoon or tomorrow morning and will pick up a female RJ 45 and build the adapter.

If this doesn't work I'm going to try a different switch. It really blows to have all these interactive appliances and not be able to feed 'em what they want!

Back