• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cascading dlink router to switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

Tried once before and cannot get the signal through the switch. Called D-link and they figured the switch bad and replaced it. the new one doesn't work so i think it's some thing else.

speedstream dsl to d-link 624 wirelses router/
network printer, wife's desktop, laptop (wireless) and feed to HTPC, approx 60 feet of CAT 5e cabling

Htpc feed is where i want the switch so I can tie in my DishTV DVR and HDdvd player. Each unit works if I plug the feed direct but when I put the switch in it's dead. No ping, no return from either end. All lights on the switch are green, showing connection but the HTPC never gets an IP address and nothing, as in zero, received.

XP pro on all computers, Norton Security handles firewalls. Any ideas. I'm really starting the get frustrated with this. It's got to be a simple setting somewhere. D-link could provide no help whatsoever even though it's their hardware through and through. :bang head

That should work fine, with or without a crossover cable. Both the Router and Switch should be auto sensing the port and adjust accordingly. Do any of the lights blink on the switch when you try to ping the router from the HTPC? What about setting a static IP on the HTPC, can you ping the router then?

just in the computer pick something that is out of your DHCP range so you dont come up with issues.

That should work fine, with or without a crossover cable. Both the Router and Switch should be auto sensing the port and adjust accordingly. Do any of the lights blink on the switch when you try to ping the router from the HTPC? What about setting a static IP on the HTPC, can you ping the router then?

anything can happen ;)

check your cables, make sure the cable is ok, try diffrent uplink ports to the switch > router and if the switch is a layer 3 switch make sure it isnt passing out addresses(some switches can do this right?). you could also try plugging in a pc that you know is "good" on the router into the switch too

Last edited:
you could also try plugging in a pc that you know is "good" on the router into the switch too

There's nothing wrong with any of the equipment. If I plug the feed in direct they ALL work fine. Only when the switch is put inline does it quit working. One other point. If I check the Internet connection status it shows packets out but nothing in.

Bump. No other ideas. It's got to be something simple, I've tried the hard stuff!

Obtaining an IP address (192.168.x.x) from the D-link router while being connected directly to the switch should work with out any special configuration. You might try doing a hard restart on both the router and switch. Here is how I do my hard restarts:

• While the device is powered on, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
  • After 30 seconds (while still holding the reset button) unplug power from the device.
  • After another 30 seconds (while the power was disconnected) and while still holding the reset button, restore power to the device.
  • Continue holding the button for another 30 seconds then release.
All told you should be holding the reset button for at least 1min-30sec. Try this on both devices and see if this fixes anything.

Also this is an dumb (unmanaged) switch correct?

Well, after spending another hour (4th call on this issue) on the phone linksys feels they have a manufacturing issue. This being the second ezx55 switch i can't get to work. The last step was we connected two computers direct to the switch and could get no communication between the two.
I'll be sure to follow up after I receive the replacement.:bang head

and yes, its should be plug and play simple.

Both switches would only move data one way? Although all the indicator lights came up properly, the connection would not go through.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

do you have a cross over cable to test with? if you have this issue again use a cross over cable between the two devices... sounds like the auto uplink may not be working correctly... when you connect nothing to the switch what lights are on? how about when you connect just the cable between the switches.... then what lights come on? did any of your pc's receive an IP address when connected to the switch? I am guessing no... or a 169.254 addr... if ALL lights lit up for all ports rather than just link lights to connected ports that could be another issue. what it sounds like though if you ask me is that the auto uplink did not negotiate correctly and both ends were cross or straight.

They are supposed to be auto sensing. We connected two computers direct to the switch, got the respective ip addresses and tried to ping each other. no go.

All lights on indicator lights show connection.

Linksys told me to RMA through amazon, which i didn't feel was right. Plus if it's a manufacturing issue I'll more than likely receive one out of the same batch. I found a Ver. 2 model on ebay for $1.99 (if I win the bid) and will try that before bugging Amazon.

PS. Another story. I tried to RMA through linksys and my case # kept being rejected by their RMA form. Three interminable calls later, it still wouldn't go through. So two clicks later, Amazon processed the RMA and then sent the replacement overnight shipping at no cost! Now that's customer service. I didn't feel it was right for Linksys to run me back through their Amazon's customer service when their's failed to work.

Bump. I'm on my third switch and linksys has no clue. I've tried everything and know it's got to be some setting somewhere.
If I plug direct to the computer, no prob. If I plug into hte switch, then switch to computer, limited connection. Green lights across the switch but I can't get an ip address. Help!

have you tried other make / model switches? firmware update on your router? (is it up to date)

the only thing i can think of now, is that the switch just plain out doesn't like the router, however, i doubt that could happen at a layer 2 level.

same switch, different versions. I'll check the firmware on the router, but if it's out, it's only a month or two. I thought the same switch as router would work the best. The router 's the Linksys Wrt54g which is a highly rated router and works for every other task awesomely.

same switch, different versions. I'll check the firmware on the router, but if it's out, it's only a month or two. I thought the same switch as router would work the best. The router 's the Linksys Wrt54g which is a highly rated router and works for every other task awesomely.

There's an interesting tidbit in the manual of your switch:

"Using the uplink port will automatically disable the port directly next to it, since the uplink port is a shared port."

If you are connecting the router to port 1 for example and plugging in another device on port 2, that may be why you're not getting communication.

Thanks but tried different combos on both ports. the router doesn't have a designated uplink port and if I set the setting on the router to 'gateway', it drops all internet connectivity. I might have time today to mess around some more with it.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Back