• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5E vs Maximus Formula Which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

I'm looking at upgrading my motherboard from an ASUS Commando, which I'm very happy with but I want PCI-E 2.0. I will be giving the wife the Commando and grabbing one of the two boards I listed.

From reading reviews from customers on newegg it looks like the P5E has some issues, of course the Maximus Formula is exactly the same board with a few added features. Should I chance the P5E? Or should I go with what I know as the RoG series is very high in quality. I'll also be grabbin an E8500 probably soon and clocking to 4ghz or higher. Currently have a Q6600 G0...

So the big question.... which one should I grab?

The main feature of the Maximus Formula over the P5E is that it can give the CPU upto 1.9v over the P5E's 1.8v.

I'm an owner of an P5E and i have stayed with the first bios and have not run into any of the problems except the mobo displays the wrong temp but... that why everyone uses core temp.

Well I appreciate the flooding of comments... I think I'm gonna rely on my instincts and stick with what has served me well. Time for an introduction to the Maximus Formula!

i got a p5e but i wish i had the maximus....(not)...oh well next time ill read more then just get the $100 cheaper board and does what i need it to do =D

i still want the maximus...oh wait i think i got it i took off the p5e sticker! muahahahahahha and its $100 cheaper muahahahahhahahahahaah (dont use water so no need for the max...sometimes i wish i went with sli then crossfire.... eh well)

oh one more thing that boggles my mind is why in the heck would u get a crossfire board and a nvidia gpu....that just doesn't make ANY sense to me.....u cant sli it...whats the point? just fvkin get the 3870x2 instead of the 8800 and when u get more doe get another 3870x2......sorry but maybe im just a dump ash.....just my .2....or maybe i should get a REFUND!

i got a p5e but i wish i had the maximus....(not)...oh well next time ill read more then just get the $100 cheaper board and does what i need it to do =D

i still want the maximus...oh wait i think i got it i took off the p5e sticker! muahahahahahha and its $100 cheaper muahahahahhahahahahaah (dont use water so no need for the max...sometimes i wish i went with sli then crossfire.... eh well)

this made absolutely no sense to me... maybe i need a beer to understand it :D

and just because you get a crossfire platform doesnt mean you have to use crossfire. Personally I probably will never sli/Xfire because i dont see the need but that doesnt mean i dont like some of the motherboard features aside from an extra PCI-E

oh one more thing that boggles my mind is why in the heck would u get a crossfire board and a nvidia gpu....that just doesn't make ANY sense to me.....u cant sli it...whats the point? just fvkin get the 3870x2 instead of the 8800 and when u get more doe get another 3870x2......sorry but maybe im just a dump ash.....just my .2....or maybe i should get a REFUND!

so your p5e is a stripped down version of the maximus...but where do you get the $100 cheaper??? maybe the maximus extreme but who in this thread is talking about the extreme. the maximus formula is ~$240ish. the p5e is $220 (newegg prices anyway).

and i dont plan to do sli or crossfire...ever really. and frankly i trust the intel chipset more than an nvidia chipset for motherboards. and the 8800gts is a $300 card compared to the 3870x2 being a $450 card.

Last edited:
I think he meant that he paid less for his P5E than he would have for a Maximus Formula,for me it was £50 cheaper and that is around $100 i beleive

Also,many people have reported taking the sticker off their P5E motherboards only to find that it has the maximus formula logo underneath it!You can even flash it with the Maximus Formula BIOS (as i have done) and it gives you allll the extra "features" of the Maximus Formula,the only catch is that you need to go into hardware monitering and turn off the extra temp sensors that that real Maximus Formaula has,i think thats just a gimmick for extra £$£$£$£$........its the only real difference between the 2 boards,so how is a P5E a "stripped down" version just cause of like 2 or 3 temperature sensors?......and if you go and read anywhere,you will find people consitantly have better overclocking results with the maximus formula or even rampage formula BIOS installed on their P5E......

Unless you want water cooling i think the P5E isnt really worth the extra cash?(my friend has the same setup and a "real" maximus formula and gets the same results as me,we both use the same BIOS)

Just my thoughts!

first of, if in America, the Maximus Formula is only 20 dollars more, i don't see WHY NOT get it over the P5E. over in Australia, it's 100 dollars more! (so gay la)

so, i did the Rampage Formula bios flash, and it's a rampage formula board now. you can do that with the Maximus Formula as well.

advantage of MF over P5E is that you get the RoG features; on board oc-ing CMOS reset, on/off and reset switch, lcd poster and temp sensors on NB and SB, which P5E do not have (again, so gay la).

so yeh. if only 20 bucks more, of course go for the MF.

Ahhh,it was a bigger difference for me here in the UK,it was around £50 more for me to get a MF over a P5E and the extra's didnt warrant the extra cost for me.....just a few weeks after i got it,they all dropped in price a bit and i was ****ed off cause i coulda got a MF if i had just waited lol

But on a brighter note,my 2900XT broke 2 months ago and was replaced by the online store with a 3870X2!!!!!!!Took a month to get it replaced but sure was worth it in the end!!!!:santa:

BTW would you recommend the Rampage BIOS for the P5E?I freaked out wen i found out the rampage is like a X48 chipset and switched back to the MF BIOS cause it seemed to be more like the P5E board.........i was afraid at some point something would go wrong.......am i too paranoid or wat?I preferred the rampage BIOS options ALOT MORE!!!:drool:

Back