• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU error!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrbobc

Hi, i woke my pc from hibernation earlier after falling asleep last night watching a movie and after about 40 mins of playing oblivion it crashed and i got all lines down the screen.

after a reboot i got a CPU overvolt error on my post screen, so i went into bios and sure enough it said my vcore was 2.192v :eek: and the temp was -135'c! I checked all my settings and there was nothing untoward but what is strange is that my mobo doesnt allow manual voltage settings at all!

if it was really that high wouldnt my cpu die?

anyway i rebooted and everything seems fine! ive been keeping an eye on my vcore with pcprobe and its been rated at a steady 1.3v for over an hour now!

this always seems to happen after i wake up from hibernation though and i was wondering if it is some kind of vista error? or whether its my cpu on its way out? or if i need to add some new thermal paste?

anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

can no-one shed no light on this??

do you think i should just disable hibernation?

There are a large number of motherboards out there that don't awaken properly from hibernation. For instance my a8n-sli deluxe would boot to windows then restart whenever it hibernated in vista.

Honestly though, I've only ever seen problems with hibernation on AMD based boards.

so you reckon to just disable it then?

its not a cpu or mobo fault per se?

Just use the sleep mode, hibernation is more of a laptop feature. Going to sleep or hibernating while a game is left playing is a risk of crashing. The fans and drives may shutdown but somehow leave the CPU at full power is my guess.

Back